August 22, 2024

Discerning the enemy’s lies…

A few years ago I was being plagued by attacks from Satan, yet often was oblivious to the source of those lies or even that they were lies. God gave me a unique idea to help me be more discerning. When I read a passage of Scripture, I considered that the opposite of what it said would be this enemy’s way of challenging my faith. Doing this helped me recognize what was going on.

This seems an odd way to battle lies, but the NT says I need to be alert to any sort of false teaching and false teachers, and includes the ability of Satan to make himself look good:

For such men are false apostles, deceitful workmen, disguising themselves as apostles of Christ. And no wonder, for even Satan disguises himself as an angel of light. So it is no surprise if his servants, also, disguise themselves as servants of righteousness. Their end will correspond to their deeds. (2 Corinthians 11:13–15)
Here are some examples of God’s Word and how the enemy might twist it:
There is therefore now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus. For the law of the Spirit of life has set you free in Christ Jesus from the law of sin and death. (Romans 8:1–2)
Satan would say when I sin that I cannot really be saved and need to  keep every rule and law, and if I don’t, I will be condemned.

Even though God does not condemn forgiven sinners, He wants me to be like Him:
Anyone whom you forgive, I also forgive. Indeed, what I have forgiven, if I have forgiven anything, has been for your sake in the presence of Christ, so that we would not be outwitted by Satan; for we are not ignorant of his designs. (2 Corinthians 2:10–11)

Satan does not want forgiveness. He promotes resentment, retaliation, unnecessary confrontation, and battles between people. I’m not to be oblivious to the source of conflict and be ready to forgive rather than give in to his schemes.

Some of his schemes are blatant and easy to spot. Others are more subtle, such as his lies concerning this truth:

Count it all joy, my brothers, when you meet trials of various kinds, for you know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness. And let steadfastness have its full effect, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing. (James 1:2–4)
Satan wants me to think that trials mean God does not love me, and that he has the upper hand. He hides any good purpose or benefit from being tested and tells me I am a failure and that my trials are punishment for my sins. He also suggests that I do something to get me out of all discomforting situations and avoid any submission to God’s purposes. His lies are designed to get my focus off the One who works all things for my good and to think only of myself and how to escape whatever is bothering me, or to blame myself for getting into this mess. Anything to keep me from trusting God to use it to build character and from focusing on the good that is coming.

Hindsight is usually clearer than what these situations suggest. The enemy wants me in a mess. Part of that mess is being so upset with things or diverted from truth that I quit trusting God, stop praying, and stop reading the Bible, even stop wanting to be with other Christians. Of course he does not want me to praise God or tell others about His goodness and His salvation plan. He will keep me busy with other things, not necessarily sinful in themselves but whatever will sidetrack obedience.

Two nights in a row I’ve had distressing dreams. They are vivid and related to life’s fears. Since God is not the author of fear, I know who is stirring my emotions. I also know this is a spiritual attack because the discomfort those dreams cause goes away as soon as I begin to praise the Lord. I cannot praise Him and doubt Him at the same time!

PRAY: Lord, the things I’ve been praying about are obviously not something this enemy wants done. He is aiming at my weaknesses and trying to stop me from trusting You. He is not very wise because weakness is when I trust You the most! I know that the weapons of spiritual war are the truths that You declare. Keep me thinking truth. I don’t want this enemy to interfere with hearing Your voice or with You hearing my heart. Lead me not into any temptation to quit, and deliver me from the evil one. May You be glorified.

 

No comments: