August 28, 2024

Loving God means...

If someone told me they loved me, then slandered me behind my back, did not show up when they promised, was rude at times, never shared their thoughts, turned their back when I needed help, or could not look me in the eye, I’d wonder about that love statement, even doubt it totally.

God is not like that. He showed His love by sending Jesus: “For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life.” (John 3:16)
Yet He does not stop at that. He wants my love in return and just as a bridegroom wins the love of his bride by assurances and proofs of his love for her, so does God win our love.

We love because he first loved us. (1 John 4:19)
What a shame that when life does not go the way I want it to go that I think God does not love me. Human love wants me to be comfortable, to have all I need and want, but the love of God is not like that. He wants what is best for me even if it sometimes hurts.

A small example is the loving mother who will not let her protesting child eat candy all day, not before supper and not to the exclusion of nourishing food. Another example is the person who puts aside their own comfort to help others move furniture or drives them across town when their car breaks down. Love like God loves always involves self-sacrifice — at least that part of self that focuses on my own comfort.

Today’s reading points to a reality check regarding my profession of love for the Lord. It points to  children who make professions of loving their parents yet when asked to perform some little act of service, say complainingly, “Oh, can’t somebody else do it?” Real love delights to serve.

So what are my excuses? I’ve heard those of others. They say they do not share the gospel with others for fear of being rejected, or do not serve in this or that capacity for fear of failure. However, the Bible says;
There is no fear in love, but perfect love casts out fear. For fear has to do with punishment, and whoever fears has not been perfected in love. (1 John 4:18)
The question is, do I trust God’s love to deliver me from fear, care, and anxiety and to give me all I need to do all that He asks? Do I trust Him to keep my heart in perfect peace even during the tough times that obedience may involve? Or am I only willing to do the ‘safe’ things?

In our church, the calls for help often involve Sunday brunch. How easy to cut up fruit, or muffins, or wash serving bowls, or sweep the floor, or take home tablecloths to launder. But what about inviting others to attend? Or teaching a dozen or more rambunctious children? Or praying several hours a day for those who do these things?

I get out of stacking chairs and some other physical service (too old, too heavy, easily out of breath) or attending some functions (no interest, no time, etc.) but in making those excuses am I resisting the love of God and His power to enable me so He can use me to love others?
And this commandment we have from him: whoever loves God must also love his brother. Everyone who believes that Jesus is the Christ has been born of God, and everyone who loves the Father loves whoever has been born of him. By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God and obey his commandments. For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments. And his commandments are not burdensome. For everyone who has been born of God overcomes the world. And this is the victory that has overcome the world—our faith. Who is it that overcomes the world except the one who believes that Jesus is the Son of God? (1 John 4:21–5:5)
PRAY: Jesus, accepting Your love is much easier than returning it in the same way that You give it — by sacrificing Yourself that I might have abundant life. That life is to be spent for You, not indulged in for my own sake but poured out in serving You. Make clear what You want from me, along with granting me a deeper desire to love You by doing all that You want me to do, without excuses.


No comments: