August 6, 2024

What is sovereign? God’s will — or my will?

 


It saddens me that some Christians believe that we have the ability to undo what God has done. This is a fist in God’s face and disbelief in His power as well as His promises. The author of the devotional I am reading makes many entries that reveal this idea. Today, the reading says three things that reveal a lack of faith that God is sovereign and that His grace is greater than our sin.

While there is truth in the idea that willing participation plays in the Lord’s saving work, the Bible makes it clear that God is the author of that willingness. Like a hand in a glove, He gives the attitudes and desires that enable me to walk with Him.

You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you that you should go and bear fruit and that your fruit should abide, so that whatever you ask the Father in my name, he may give it to you. (John 15:16)
Therefore, my beloved, as you have always obeyed, so now, not only as in my presence but much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling, for it is God who works in you, both to will and to work for his good pleasure. (Philippians 2:12–13)

He chose me — I did not choose Him. He is the Savior — I cannot save myself. He enables me to want His will, for in myself, I want what I want, which is the essence of sin (Isaiah 53:6). 


Today’s reading says: “Peace and holiness will be the result of God’s recognized presence. His presence will drive out sin just as sunshine drives out darkness, if the heart will but open itself to its shining.”

To be totally honest, my heart would never be open to God unless God opened it. Sin and selfishness rule apart from His grace. He put Himself in my heart so that its selfishness can be ignored and the will of God reigns. Not always, but only confession of my sinful notions and actions are needed because He is Savior and He does the work of saving me.

The fact of His indwelling is the next statement from today’s reading: “To be the temple of God means to be His dwelling place, the habitation of God. It is almost impossible for the heart of man to conceive of anything so amazing, but if we believe the Bible at all, we must believe that our hearts are the home of our God and that He does continually seek to find a dwelling place there.”

This statement and many others say that if we stop believing it, He has left. Sin can result in that sense of abandonment, but He does not go away. Jesus said, “I am with you always” and other verses confirm this. The devotional author continually suggests that that this is undone if we doubt or sin in other ways.
I do see the problem with my “only God” belief — why then does He choose some and not others? One pastor says, “Why does He choose any of us?” This points to His grace but does not help those who pray for people who seem to never respond to the gospel. All I can say is that God cannot be sovereign unless He does the saving, for He declares that no one ever seeks Him (Psalm 53:1-3 and Romans 3:10-18). Apart from His grace to change hearts, I would be lost.

Today’s reading also says, “As the sunlight fills the air all around us and enters wherever there is an opening, the presence of God fills the whole universe and enters every heart that opens to receive Him.” This suggests the opening is up to us. But is it? Not according to the Word of God. If He did not open my heart, it would still be closed.

PRAY: Jesus, You know how to soften hard hearts. It might be a tragedy, or humbling situations. I can also be Your overwhelming goodness that leads us to repentance. Whatever You do, it is because You know every human heart. You reveal yourself in creation, but if anyone says NO to that, what more can You show them? Saving faith must believe that You exist. You reveal the fact of sin. If anyone says NO to that, what can You do? Let them slide down a slippery slope? (See Romans 1:19ff) You know the heart and the importance of our responses, but without Your enlightenment, I’m convinced that darkness stays dark.


No comments: