August 17, 2024

Are tempting thoughts sinful?

An elderly pastor was asked if evil thoughts were sinful. He said, “A bird can fly over your head, just don’t let it build a nest in your hair.”

Not too long ago, I had dreams where I was doing sinful things. When I asked God about it, He said, “Would you rather do those things in real life so I could show you your sinful desires?”

Today’s reading says that sinful thoughts are not sin. However, Jesus said they are the root of sin. When asked about failing to do human commands such as a hand-washing ritual or other ‘rule’ He said:

Do you not see that whatever goes into the mouth passes into the stomach and is expelled? But what comes out of the mouth proceeds from the heart, and this defiles a person. For out of the heart come evil thoughts, murder, adultery, sexual immorality, theft, false witness, slander. These are what defile a person. But to eat with unwashed hands does not defile anyone.” (Matthew 15:17–20)
Not only that, Jesus also said that thinking lustful thoughts was the same as committing the action. From this and other verses, I understand that evil thoughts are not always Satan’s idea. Human sinfulness is capable of all sorts of notions that defile us. They can be fleeting, like a bird flying over my head, but if I dwell on them and then act on them, these roots of sin grow and will ruin my life.

James put it this way:
Let no one say when he is tempted, “I am being tempted by God,” for God cannot be tempted with evil, and he himself tempts no one. But each person is tempted when he is lured and enticed by his own desire. Then desire when it has conceived gives birth to sin, and sin when it is fully grown brings forth death. (James 1:13–15)
Last week someone did something that was inappropriate and angered me. This week I thought of what I would do if that happened again. My plan was not gracious, but retaliation of an unkind sort. As I did my chores, I rehearsed this plan. This bird was building its nest. Confession and repentance is needed.
Temptation happens because of two things. One is that my sin nature is prone to sinful thoughts and actions. Two is that Satan tells me lies that appeal to that sin nature, like a fisherman uses bait to catch a fish. The fish will not go for the bait unless there is a hunger within. A satisfied fish cannot be lured by something it does not want.

These two metaphors of a bird and fishing emphasize the need to watch out for what one Christian called “stinkin’ thinkin’” because they show the danger of temptation — if it appeals to a desire for a resting place or something to satisfy a need, then it is going to bring my sinful desire out in the open for one or the other. When that happens, that desire needs attention. I must confess it as sin because it is one of those “I want what I want when I want it” things, rather than being rooted in and satisfied in Jesus Christ.
Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things. (Philippians 4:8)
Thinking about evil is not a sin? I don’t agree. Apart from having the mind of Christ to enable me to obey this verse, I’m a sitting duck for that bird and that bait (oops, mixed metaphors again). My old nature may not show up in life like it does in bad dreams, and the lures Satan presents may not interest me, but if they do, then the sin is in me, not in the dream or the bait.

PRAY: Jesus, I don’t need nests in my hair or any other resting place for sin. I don’t need anything the enemy offers, and I do not want to be a target. However, I’m glad that You can use these things to show me what I need to confess and how I need to more deeply trust You. You are definitely my Lord and Savior, and I thank You for taking care of me, warts and all.


No comments: