August 10, 2024

Using our spiritual gifts…

Discovering spiritual gifts can happen in ordinary situations. During a church meal, someone spilled their dessert. One person thought it had been too close to the edge of the table. Another ran to get more dessert. A third told someone to fetch a mop and a broom, while another hugged the person who spilled it saying, “It could have happened to anyone.” These and other reactions come from the focus of each heart, the motivation that drives much of what each person cares about.

Having gifts that differ according to the grace given to us, let us use them: if prophecy, in proportion to our faith; if service, in our serving; the one who teaches, in his teaching; the one who exhorts, in his exhortation; the one who contributes, in generosity; the one who leads, with zeal; the one who does acts of mercy, with cheerfulness. (Romans 12:6–8)
Some gifts are given for the need of the moment and to build up the church, but the above passage describes motivations that we are born with and that are activated to serve the Lord when we are saved. All of them are present but one or two dominate and affect how a person ministers their place in God’s family.

For instance, the gift of teaching refers to gathering and sharing information. It could be used in a classroom, or as a librarian, or a research assistant, or when a teen spills their dessert. The gift of serving shows up in many professions and is often in the person who says, “I just need to help people.” The prophetic gift is about knowing and sharing the will of God and learning when to pray instead of speaking.

As today’s reading says, when someone is saved, fruit-bearing begins, not by effort but spontaneous growth. All Christians are motivated by their spiritual gifts just as Jesus said:
You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you that you should go and bear fruit and that your fruit should abide, so that whatever you ask the Father in my name, he may give it to you. (John 15:16)
In studying this topic, I’ve discovered that I don’t need to be too concerned about fruit-bearing. God ordained that I would and it would fit with who I am and what God gives me. As the reading says, this is the law of fruit-bearing. I can serve, show compassion when it is needed, and be an encourager, but gathering information is who I am. I cannot stop doing it or sharing it when questions are asked or other opportunities come. For me, this can be household tips, health matters, or other issues, but my focus is on who God is and what He says.

Motivational gifts can show up when I’m ‘tipped over’ and walking in the flesh. A leader can become a bossy tyrant. A compassion person can take on someone’s suffering to the point of stewing about it long after the suffering is resolved. A server can jump in and try to do more than is needed.

Another danger is wanting to spend time only with those I can serve or those that serve me. As a teacher, only teachable people might want to talk to me. I need time with those with the gift of encouragement because people with my gift mix tend to be easily convicted of sin. Without the positive attitude of exhorters, I feel useless. But forming a clique is not the way the Body of Christ is designed to operate. I need others and all those gift traits.
As it is, there are many parts, yet one body. The eye cannot say to the hand, “I have no need of you,” nor again the head to the feet, “I have no need of you.” On the contrary, the parts of the body that seem to be weaker are indispensable, and on those parts of the body that we think less honorable we bestow the greater honor… God has so composed the body, giving greater honor to the part that lacked it, that there may be no division in the body, but that the members may have the same care for one another. (1 Corinthians 12:20–25)
PRAY: Jesus, You are the perfect example of fruit-bearing. You always did what the Spirit gave You to do in relation to the need before You. I do not always spill something, but when I ‘tip over’ You know whether I need a rebuke, instruction, encouragement, or a big hug. May I be more like You in using the gifts You gave me.

 

No comments: