August 9, 2024

His pruning knife usually hurts...

We once lived in California in a rented house with fruit trees in the yard. Born and raised in a colder climate, we knew nothing about caring for fruit trees. Thankfully, the rental came with a gardener. He cut the grass, removed the weeds, and pruned the trees.

Actually, I did have a chokecherry tree in my farm yard, but after a couple of years without seeing any berries, I took out library books and discovered the reason: it needed severe pruning. One book said to trim it so a good-sized bird could fly through the branches. I did. It seemed mean, but the next year this tree was loaded with fruit.

Jesus tells how my life is like that tree. Without pruning, fruit will be absent — and He is not talking about berries.

The fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law. (Galatians 5:22–23)
Each item on this list is further defined in the NT showing how they go beyond normal human capacity. When I read 1 Corinthians 13, I know that I cannot love like that without the power of the Holy Spirit. It is the same with joy. Human happiness depends on circumstances but the joy of the Lord is present even during severe trials.

Besides this list, qualities such as humility, modesty, truthfulness, and purity or any other trait that appears in my life that would not normally be characteristic of me may also be a fruit produced by the Spirit in my attitudes and actions. I am aware of the difference between His work and what my old nature is like. Without Jesus, I am not patient, have little self-control, and pride is a constant problem. Without Him, I cannot be like Him. He says:
I am the true vine, and my Father is the vinedresser. Every branch in me that does not bear fruit he takes away, and every branch that does bear fruit he prunes, that it may bear more fruit. Already you are clean because of the word that I have spoken to you. Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit by itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in me. I am the vine; you are the branches. Whoever abides in me and I in him, he it is that bears much fruit, for apart from me you can do nothing. (John 15:1–5)
The pruning part I don’t like. It often catches me by surprise and takes no account of my desire or prayers to make it stop. God knows what hinders me and keeps at me with the knife of His Word and the circumstances of life until that branch is finally history.

His mercy is such that sometimes I don’t notice the knife. When I was a new Christian, I yelled at my kids way too much. I asked God to help me, and for a few months life went on, and then I noticed I wasn’t doing it anymore. That was painless pruning. Other barren branches take longer and have been removed through difficulties and painful methods. Yet in them, I’m learning. Thankfully.
Count it all joy, my brothers, when you meet trials of various kinds, for you know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness. And let steadfastness have its full effect, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing. (James 1:2–4)
PRAY: Last night was a trial. I ate something earlier in the week that turned my digestive tract into a mine field. I don’t recall asking You to help me lose weight, but You know I wanted that. So You did it, not like I would have wanted. Greater measure of self-control would have been nicer than this shortcut. I know most people would write this off as food-poisoning and dismiss it, but You have been showing me that You are totally involved in my life and have reasons I may not see. As my mom always said, I’m learning that “I must need it or I would not be getting it.” For that, I thank You and am glad that all things work together for my good, to shape and prune me so I am more like You.




No comments: