August 12, 2024

Being ready for the King…

 


This week we have been considering our future. We live in a small but lovely gated community with 15 units. However, there is no provision for the problems of aging. If one or both of us becomes unable to manage, we would have to hire help.

Instead of that, there are other communities where seniors can live independently and move to a nearby facility that gives partial care and then another that gives extended care. Instead of moving when we need to move, could it be wiser to move now when we are capable?

The plan of God for His people is being prepared, but this plan is not about aging and the end of life. It is about the return of Jesus. We are supposed to be ready for that by knowing what He wants from His people and knowing what will happen when that time arrives.

These days, with an evil mess extending to all parts of the world, some Christians are certain that the end times are culminating and Jesus will soon be here. That could be so, but even if it is not, I know that I need to listen to Him and do what He says. He does not reveal dates and times, but He does tell us what it will look like — all life will change, except God is the same. He sits on His throne. In the OT, Isaiah saw it and someday I will see it too:
In the year that King Uzziah died I saw the Lord sitting upon a throne, high and lifted up; and the train of his robe filled the temple.” (Isaiah 6:1)
And to him was given dominion and glory and a kingdom, that all peoples, nations, and languages should serve him; his dominion is an everlasting dominion, which shall not pass away, and his kingdom one that shall not be destroyed. (Daniel 7:14)
At the end of the NT, this vision is fulfilled: “Then the angel showed me the river of the water of life, bright as crystal, flowing from the throne of God and of the Lamb.” (Revelation 22:1) And they will reign forever and ever!

Jesus taught His disciples to pray “Your kingdom come” and that fits with what the OT teaches:
“Behold, the days are coming, declares the Lord, when I will raise up for David a righteous Branch, and he shall reign as king and deal wisely, and shall execute justice and righteousness in the land. In his days Judah will be saved, and Israel will dwell securely. And this is the name by which he will be called: ‘The Lord is our righteousness.’ (Jeremiah 23:5–6)
Yet Jesus also said that His kingdom was near or they were not far from it, and even that it had already arrived…
Being asked by the Pharisees when the kingdom of God would come, he answered them, “The kingdom of God is not coming in ways that can be observed, nor will they say, ‘Look, here it is!’ or ‘There!’ for behold, the kingdom of God is in the midst of you.” (Luke 17:20–21)
When Jesus promised ‘eternal life’, he wasn’t so much thinking of never-ending life (though it included that); he was promising life that is characteristic of God’s kingdom being available to us right now; a life so powerful that it bursts through the doors of death and will continue in the life to come in even fuller expression.
Truly, truly, I say to you, whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life. He does not come into judgment, but has passed from death to life. (John 5:24)
So how do Christians live in that kingdom until entering its fullness? By being filled with the Spirit of God, ceasing from self-rule, knowing I cannot do it and aware of my helplessness, yielding to Him. He gives me His thoughts, directions, ideas, love, peace, joy and all fruit of the Spirit and puts His hand in this ‘glove to move me as He wills. And I know it is Him for He is on the throne of my life…
I have been’ crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me. And the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me. (Galatians 2:20)
PRAY: Lord Jesus, life in Your kingdom is all about You and a grand glimpse of eternity. The more You rule my heart, the more excited I am to be there for I am already being made ready for what is to come later. Help me trust You for all decisions and activities while still here, keeping in mind that it does not matter much where I live, but that I live in You!


No comments: