August 25, 2024

Making the best choices

 


It is easy to say I want the will of God, but this past week has been filled with tests to that desire. One option was fine in size but terrible in color. I wanted the size but could I live with what did not appeal to me?

Another option looked good in the beginning but it had some serious flaws that would make life very challenging. Could I live with the cosmetics and deal with the flaws? Praying for the will of God seemed to mean a lot of compromise, yet it turned out neither option was His will. Then came yesterday.

Weeks ago we bought tickets to an outdoor event. But it was cold, very windy, and we were exhausted. I put on a winter vest and a windbreaker. I didn’t want to go. But we did and immediately, in a large crowd of people, found a cousin and his wife — and the reason it was God’s will that we attend this event. I don’t know him very well, but made a significant connection at our family reunion where he invited us to this event. He was involved in it in a small way, but so delighted that we came to encourage him.

Today’s reading speaks of this life of faith. We were burdened all week trying to figure out the will of God and relieved but exhausted to finally know what He wanted. How true that He says:
Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. (Philippians 4:6–7)
I’m not to worry about anything, certainly the ‘big’ issues of life but also the small, everyday stuff that can be a bother, particularly when I feel so helpless about it or so tossed with the choices. This week was filled with both, yet the simplicity of getting outside in the cold to make another person smile has more merit than all the struggles about choices that seemed vital at the time. Helplessness is good if it turns me from my I-wants to make simple decisions based on what the Spirit of God has clarified.

Again, as today’s reading says, I must remember that my chief strength in knowing and doing the will of God is my weakness, even utter helplessness:
But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me. For the sake of Christ, then, I am content with weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions, and calamities. For when I am weak, then I am strong. (2 Corinthians 12:9–10)
Knowing what choices to make apart from seeking the will of God is folly. It is easy to rely on preferences or what seems good and wind up making big mistakes. It is easy to choose what feels comfortable and wind up missing an opportunity to be a blessing to another person.

PRAY: Lord, I know my strengths easily hinder me from discovering Your will. I also realize how praying that Your will is done is stepping into a war zone. Our enemy is not at all interested in that kind of surrender. I hear the prayers of others and realize the conflict that so easily thwarts this desire to see You at work. My prayer today is that Your will is done — in my life and in the lives of all Your people, but also that we want it with all our hearts because trusting You and knowing what You want for us far out-weighs what we suppose to be the best choices. Amen.


No comments: