August 30, 2024

Being in the will of God


Yesterday was filled with contrasts. Thursday’s prayer time at our church usually involves 2-5 of us but this time it was just me. I read the Word and prayed for many things and was totally blessed. Then I went to a gathering of 7 quilters. Usually that monthly meeting is a delight, but this time I felt pangs of not being good enough. I didn’t know how to visit, didn’t have anything to say, and felt as if my ‘show and tell’ quilting was inferior. Instead of enjoying these ladies and our usual banter, I felt out of place.

On the way home, I realized my motives for making quilts are not the same as my friends. They are into beauty, skill, and winning prizes. I am into helping needy people stay warm and feel loved. While creating with fabric is also a total delight and I want them to be pleasing, I really don’t care if the quilting world is impressed. That makes me out of place. I’m okay with that reason.

At the same time, this felt heavy this morning. God knew. I took out the next four pages of songs to worship before reading the devotional and they were from Him. The first one, “I’d Rather Have Jesus” got Him started and He used it and the rest of them to speak to me about sticking to what God wants and not letting the world’s value system pull me away, no matter how nice it looks. Then today’s reading explained how God was at work in this all this. It said that I need to be thankful in everything, even when it seems hurtful, because God is in it and will use it for good. I know the verses:
And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose. For those whom he foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the image of his Son, in order that he might be the firstborn among many brothers. (Romans 8:28–29)
And I remember my mother saying, “We must need it or we wouldn’t be getting it.” I needed this to verify my faith in the God who is behind all that happens. Would I put down those who have worldly values? Would I grasp these values for myself? Would I forget why God has directed me to do what I do and instead try to get some glory out of it for myself?

The reading echos my mom’s words. It says whatever others do and for whatever reasons, “faith never sees second causes; it sees only the hand of God behind the second causes. They are all under His control, and not one of them can touch us without His knowledge and permission. The thing itself that happens cannot perhaps be said to be the will of God, but by the time its effects reach us, they have become God’s will for us and must be accepted as from His hands.”

In other words, God allowed the events at that meeting to cement truth in my heart, not to destroy it. The devotional uses the story of Joseph to illustrate how even the most sinful actions will turn out for good in the lives of His people. His brothers sold him into slavery but he wound up saving his entire family from destruction.

PRAY: Jesus, You know that by the time I talked to You and finished today’s reading, You convinced me more than ever to keep on doing what I do, trusting You to use it for Your glory. You remind me of the few loaves and fishes, of Rahab’s red string, of many little things that happened at our family reunion even, and how You use small things to bring You glory — and to put great joy in the hearts of Your people. All that cannot be surpassed by whatever I could do to seek my own glory. As You say, and my dear mom verifies, I need to be often reminded to simply accept and remain in Your will for my life.


No comments: