March 28, 2023

Forgiving others as I have been forgiven . . .

Today’s devotional is much like the thoughts God gave me yesterday! This is affirmation, but also a reminder of the importance of thinking “Our Father” in our individualistic North American culture. We who love Jesus are a family. We are important to each other illustrated by being a Body, and like a human body, if one part hurts, the whole body suffers. Any rift between any part of this Body is painful and impairs the others who are members with us.

This is practical and spiritual. When I suffer, I’m comforted when other Christians suffer with me and pray for me. When I rejoice, my joy deepens when other Christians share it. If I confess sin, and another Christian says they know exactly how I feel because they struggle with that sin too, then I feel part of a larger battle. We are in this together, not alone in our daily challenges, or in our our joyful times.

When we pray as Jesus taught, we use collective words. Our prayers are about US not ME . . .

Forgive us our debts, as we also have forgiven our debtors. And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil. For if you forgive others their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you, but if you do not forgive others their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses. (Matthew 6:12–15)

Thinking about ‘us’ instead of separating myself from the Body of Christ means this: if I am upset with another Christian, I must pray “forgive us” because the reality is we are both in need of it — that person for whatever they did that upset me, and me for being upset rather than seeking restoration and having a genuine concern for their spiritual well-being. If my big toe hurts, I don’t kick at it or ignore it but do my best to fix the problem or seek the help of someone who can. This is why we pray “Our Father” — that we might act like adopted children in His family, for that is who we are.

Besides that, as MacArthur says, being an unforgiving Christian is a contradiction in terms. We are forgiven and know that freedom. We have Christ in us and know that He does not want us living in guilt and condemnation; He died to free us from that. No wonder the Bible says:

Be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, as God in Christ forgave you. (Ephesians 4:32)

Holding a grudge against another Christian is contrary to who I am. It has happened too often. MacArthur offers three steps to take, the first two are obvious. One, confess it to the Lord requesting He cleanse my unloving attitude, and give me directions on what needs to be done. Two, if the other person is aware of my hostility, go to that person and ask for forgiveness and reconciliation. Use caution if that person is unaware of my attitude. Telling them I’ve been negative toward them might come across as ‘getting even’ and be hurtful if they had been oblivious to my bad attitude.

Third, give the person something I value. It might be time, or a book, or words of blessing for their faith and ministry, anything that requires releasing something I treasure. Since “where your treasure is, there your heart will be also” (Matthew 6:21), then I am giving a treasure AND my heart to that person, and God brings joy and freedom to those willing to make that kind of sacrifice.

Jesus, this is important. In Your instructions for prayer, the “Our Father” comes first. It is vital for healthy Body life. I’m not to ever let a grudge or critical resentment stand between me and another person. Not only will that will rob me of the full joy of forgiveness, it can weaken the effectiveness of Your Body, the church. Right away, I’m thinking of two people that tend to annoy me. I’ve taken the two steps with both, and did the third with one of them. Now You are reminding me how to bless the other one. It involves a sacrifice of both time and funds, but I know it is important. Thank You.

MORE: In the parable of the servant in Matthew 18:21–35, what does the being in jail in v. 34 represent to a Christian who will not forgive others as Christ has forgiven them? How is that debt cleared?

 

No comments: