March 9, 2023

Praying for Others . . .

 

We have sinned and done wrong and acted wickedly and rebelled, turning aside from your commandments and rules. We have not listened to your servants the prophets . . . . To you, O Lord, belongs righteousness, but to us open shame, as at this day . . . because we have sinned against you. To the Lord our God belong mercy and forgiveness . . . . We have sinned against (You) . . . and because for our sins . . . your people have become a byword among all who are around us. (Daniel 9:5–16)

Daniel sets and example by identifying with his people and interceding on their behalf, just as Moses interceded for the Israelites after they sinned by worshiping the golden calf (Exodus 32:11–13). All Paul’s recorded prayers are intercessions. He wrote:

(Be) praying at all times in the Spirit, with all prayer and supplication. To that end, keep alert with all perseverance, making supplication for all the saints . . .  (Ephesians 6:18)

I urge that supplications, prayers, intercessions, and thanksgivings be made for all people, for kings and all who are in high positions, that we may lead a peaceful and quiet life, godly and dignified in every way. This is good, and it is pleasing in the sight of God our Savior, who desires all people to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth. (1 Timothy 2:1–4)

Jesus also interceded, even as He hung on the cross: “Father, forgive them, for they know not what they do.” (Luke 23:34) and He lives forever to intercede for us (Hebrews 7:25).

These days, my prayers include my husband who lives with me, the people who live next door and others in our complex, all neighbors, friends and relatives. I’m praying too for our country and other countries, the people and cultures of places I’ve been and never been, and for people by name that I will never see or meet this side of heaven. I pray mostly for Christians but also those not yet in God’s kingdom.

The Body of Christ is a family. We need one another and that includes prayer in plural, such as “Give US this day OUR daily bread, and forgive US OUR debts . . . do not lead US into temptation, but deliver US from evil.” Whatever I want for myself from God, I also want for others in this forever family. If I am lonely, pray for all who are lonely (and give some of them a call). If I feel weak, pray for all who feel unable, that we remember we “can do all things through Christ who gives us strength.”

I can easily be selfish in prayer, treating God like a personal genie in a bottle. However, NT prayers nearly all use the plural form of ‘you’ and reflect the importance of Body life. My prayers should do the same.

Prayer includes asking God to bring conviction of sin to those who do not know Him. They need His Spirit to reveal truth to them, to enable repentance and open their hearts to forgiveness and redemption. While these folks are often heavy on my heart, I know that because God saved me, He can save anyone.

Jesus, I am thankful for the people who pray for me. I’m also glad that I can pray for others. At times the needs can be overwhelming so don’t let me be distracted by that. A more overwhelming fact is that nothing is too difficult for You. I can pray and move mountains in Your Name. What an amazing privilege!

MORE: In John 17, Jesus prayed for His disciples. In what ways is His prayer an example for me?

 

No comments: