March 24, 2023

God is glorified when He takes care of needs

 

As today’s devotional says, praying for daily bread in my situation is not as necessary as praying for self-control so I don’t overeat. Yet I agree that when Jesus says to ask: “Give us this day our daily bread” (Matthew 6:11) He is not talking about food only. This prayer acknowledges that God provides all daily necessities. My husband sets a good example by thanking God for another day, air to breathe and many things easily taken for granted.

Some people treat God as a genie in a bottle, a power to meet their needs without thinking that the purpose of prayer is to glorify God. Jesus says:

Whatever you ask in my name, this I will do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son. If you ask me anything in my name, I will do it. (John 14:13–14)

Jesus did speak of daily necessities as well. In the time and place He lived, this was a common concern, just as it is in various parts of the world today. He said,

Therefore do not be anxious, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ For the Gentiles seek after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them all. But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you. (Matthew 6:31–33)

For those who are not anxious about food and clothes, the promises of answered prayer still hold. Right after this one about necessities, Jesus said, “Therefore do not be anxious about tomorrow, for tomorrow will be anxious for itself. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble.” (Matthew 6:34)

This strikes home. This morning I’ve the following anxieties: a quilt for some special people but the design has me stumped. How can I fix it so it looks good and is the right size? Income tax time is looming and I cannot find the receipt for church donations; it seems to have vanished? An organization I belong to recently changed their policies and all their officials have no job descriptions — I have been given the responsibility to see that this happens. Then there are dozens of prayer requests plus the ones listed in a couple of prayer apps on my phone, plus the stuff from this morning’s newspaper. Future plans aside; today’s troubles are already enough!

Yet this morning’s time of worship included that song, “Count your blessings” so I did a short version and realize that this thankful part of prayer glorifies God; He has answered prayer in so many ways. In the past few weeks, we have not had any wants for anything, and to ice that cake, we’ve also seen growth in our church (it is bursting at the seams), healing for a man who was dying, baptisms, new believers, prodigals return to their faith in God, and a host of smaller things, like Him using mistakes for good and remarkable ‘coincidences’ that bring praise to our hearts and lips.

Lord Jesus, may trusting You for everything never become a selfish demand that You to do what I want, or me treating You as a “celestial vending machine” rather than Almighty God to whom I also pray, “Thy will be done.” As our son’s wife recently said, “God knows best” and Your decisions are not only wise, but loving. You take care of us so well. May I always pray in faith like the wise person who said:

Remove far from me falsehood and lying; give me neither poverty nor riches; feed me with the food that is needful for me, lest I be full and deny you and say, “Who is the Lord?” or lest I be poor and steal and profane the name of my God. (Proverbs 30:8–9)

You tell me that You will take care of me, but You also say not to lay up treasure on earth or pray for things that glorify myself and not You. Forgive all sinful selfishness in my prayers and enable me to instead pray so that You are glorified!

CHECK OUT: Matthew 6:19–34 and James 4:3.

 

No comments: