March 29, 2023

The Flesh? Or the Spirit?

 

The situations of life involve choices. Even in the simplest things, I sense the choice to be thankful and joyful or to complain or grumble. It starts with waking up. Will I be glad that I did and look forward to the day? Or will I moan because my body aches and my to-do list is long?

Such is the nature of temptation to sin. Asking God to “Lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil” (Matthew 6:13) is my request that He keeps me from situations that are too much for me. In the past, these were obvious and up front, but as I age, the temptation to sin becomes more subtle, like the above example.

Even though God forgave all my sins — past, present, and future — when I was saved, sin still happens and sin brings a sense of broken fellowship with Him. I don’t want that. I want His protection from it. That protection might come as sovereign prevention of certain situations where I might not pass the test. It might come and produce greater faith and stronger resistance to life’s trials. God does know how to protect me from failure.

However, there is a sense in which this request needs to be made. First, the Bible says: Let no one say when he is tempted, ‘I am being tempted by God,’ for God cannot be tempted with evil, and he himself tempts no one.” I cannot blame God if something happens and I respond with sinful words or actions because that passage goes on: “But each person is tempted when he is lured and enticed by his own desire. Then desire when it has conceived gives birth to sin, and sin when it is fully grown brings forth death.” (James 1:13–15)

Sin is my choice, yet as Jesus said, the Spirit may be willing, but the flesh is weak (when it ought to be dead). That old nature can still motivate selfish choices in some situations. God knows me. He knows what might produce a sinful response. Praying “Lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil” is asking Him to protect me from doing that.

Another reality is that God may not fulfill this request. “Jesus was led up by the Spirit into the wilderness to be tempted by the devil.” (Matthew 4:1) The Father knew that the Son would not sin. There are times when the temptation to react selfishly is strong, but God protects me from the evil one, even though the Spirit put me in a situation where temptation would come.

John Piper says, “All pleasure in this life is a test from God laced with temptation from Satan. Will we idolize this pleasure or thank God for it and consider Him more valuable than this pleasure? In the same way, all pain in this life is a test from God laced with temptation from Satan. Will we trust God in His infinite wisdom, power, and love or will we curse Him?” He points out that this prayer is asking God to keep every test from ensnaring us in Satan’s temptations, instead delivering us from any pain or pleasure that is destructive to our faith.

I also notice the prayer says US rather than ME. In our North American individualism, we often pray this with ourselves in mind, but the sense of preserving righteousness in Body life is helpful, even a reminder that I am not alone in my battle against sin.

No temptation has overtaken you that is not common to man. God is faithful, and he will not let you be tempted beyond your ability, but with the temptation he will also provide the way of escape, that you may be able to endure it. (1 Corinthians 10:13)

This is the guts of praying, “Lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil” — realizing we are in this together and God knows how much we can handle. Not only that, we cannot excuse ourselves by ‘I couldn’t help it’ for the way of escape is always there. Comparing that to James 1:14, the escape is this:

Put to death therefore what is earthly in you: sexual immorality, impurity, passion, evil desire, and covetousness, which is idolatry. (Colossians 3:5)

Those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires. (Galatians 5:24)

We know that our old self was crucified with him in order that the body of sin might be brought to nothing, so that we would no longer be enslaved to sin. (Romans 6:6)

You also must consider yourselves dead to sin and alive to God in Christ Jesus. (Romans 6:11)

Jesus, I know that actions come from my thoughts. To escape temptation and the lies of the evil one, I must think what is true about myself. As Galatians 2:20 says: “I have been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me. And the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.” You are my life. In You, I am holy and righteous. Without You, I am nothing. Thankfully, I am not without You!

QUESTIONS: Of the seven deadly sins, which are apt to give me the most trouble: Lust, Gluttony, Greed, Sloth, Wrath, Envy, Pride? Search God’s Word to find the opposite characteristics that are like Jesus.

 

No comments: