March 3, 2023

Praying for the nations . . .

 

Years ago, a book called Operation World gave stats on each country and concerns for prayer. This book was occasionally updated yet could not keep up with rapid changes. Now it is available on the Internet and as a free app for our phones. Even more specific with requests is a phone app called Prayer Watch Live. It comes from the outreach mission Every Home for Christ with requests from individuals working in various countries. This technology has been a boost to my prayer life. Instead of narrow and focused only on family, friends, our church and requests from friends, with perhaps some news items thrown in, I’m also now praying more specifically for Christians and God’s workings in remote places.  

Today’s devotional encourages uncompromising prayer using Daniel as an illustration. He was taken captive with his people and wound up in a leadership position in Babylon, later taken over by the Medo-Persians. During his years in enemy territory, he never stopped praying for his people:

In the first year of Darius the son of Ahasuerus, by descent a Mede, who was made king over the realm of the Chaldeans— in the first year of his reign, I, Daniel, perceived in the books the number of years that, according to the word of the Lord to Jeremiah the prophet, must pass before the end of the desolations of Jerusalem, namely, seventy years. Then I turned my face to the Lord God, seeking him by prayer and pleas for mercy with fasting and sackcloth and ashes.(Daniel 9:1-3)

Throughout the lengthy captivity period, Daniel never forgot he was God’s child and always represented God properly despite his difficult circumstances. He was wise and brave, even when his prayers could have cost him his life. The officials tried to find reason to get rid of him, but could find nothing wrong. Finally, they had a plan. They went to the king with it: “O King Darius, live forever! All the high officials of the kingdom, the prefects and the satraps, the counselors and the governors are agreed that the king should establish an ordinance and enforce an injunction, that whoever makes petition to any god or man for thirty days, except to you, O king, shall be cast into the den of lions. Now, O king, establish the injunction and sign the document, so that it cannot be changed, according to the law of the Medes and the Persians, which cannot be revoked.”

King Darius signed the document but “when Daniel knew that the document had been signed, he went to his house where he had windows in his upper chamber open toward Jerusalem. He got down on his knees three times a day and prayed and gave thanks before his God, as he had done previously . . .” (Daniel 6:4–11) He could have stopped for thirty days, but he didn’t.

Most of us know the story. He was tossed into the lion’s den, but God protected him, exalted him, and was glorified through him—as evidenced by King Darius’ decree:

I make a decree, that in all my royal dominion people are to tremble and fear before the God of Daniel, for he is the living God, enduring forever; his kingdom shall never be destroyed, and his dominion shall be to the end. (Daniel 6:26)

Daniel understood the priority of prayer and refused to be intimidated or distracted from it. While I am not in his position nor in danger from those who see me as a threat, God has also shown me the importance of prayer. He uses it to strengthen His people and to change things in this world.

Consistency is vital also. Yesterday the enemy hit me regarding a dream I had the night before. I shared it with a Christian friend and told her how God protected me from bad dreams and gave me a good night of sleep when I prayed for it. She was delighted, telling me she had problems with sleep and dreams to the degree she was needing medication, but never thought about praying that way and was thankful for that reminder.

Lord Jesus, I am thankful for the struggle that gave me an opportunity to share Your power to answer prayer with this dear friend. May You grant her all she needs to sleep well — for You give Your beloved sleep (Psalm 127:2). Thank You also that I remembered to pray last night and had a lovely dream about planting trees and a good night of sleep. Those answers to personal prayers encourage me to keep praying for Your people in other places and the work of Your Spirit in this messed up world. I may not see the answers, but I see Your promises — and that is enough.

READ: Daniel 6. How can I be more like him in my praying?

 

No comments: