March 12, 2023

His way is perfect . . .

 

When Jesus taught His disciples to pray, He could have used an acronym that is often used to day; four letters: CAST or ACTS with the letters reminding us to Confess our sin, Adore God, make Supplication for others, and be Thankful. However, His instructions covered more than those four letters.

First, He said, “Pray then like this” or “Pray this way” or “along these lines” which indicates this prayer is not something to recite but an outline that tells us what to include in our prayers:

“Our Father in heaven, hallowed be your name. Your kingdom come, your will be done, on earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread, and forgive us our debts, as we also have forgiven our debtors. And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil. For if you forgive others their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you, but if you do not forgive others their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses.” (Matthew 6:9–15)

In this model for prayer, several requests are indicated, and all are exemplified in the prayers recorded in the NT. While the devotional writer does not mention the first one, it stands out as an important attitude when I pray by addressing God as “Our Father in heaven.” The plural ‘our’ reminds me that I am not alone when I talk to the Lord but am part of a family. I’m never to feel left out nor should I think of myself as a loner without needing the fellowship and support of others. It also reminds me who God is, not just the One who is my Savior and Friend, but also the Lord of the universe. He is our Father, but He is much more, the sovereign ruler in heaven over all things.

This prayer begins with honoring God. His name is hallowed or literally ‘sanctified’ or set apart, spoken to as holy and acknowledged as ruler over all. It says, “You are God” but also is a spoken submission to His rule and to who He is.

“Thy kingdom come” is a request that His realm and all that it is permeates our world. Again, this speaks of submission to Him as stated in the next line, “Your will be done on earth as it is in heaven.” This is part of adoring God and part of what my attitude ought to be toward Him, including how He answers my prayer. That is, I want His will even if that seems to conflict with my ‘I wants’ and I am acknowledging that His will is best.

Note that the adoration of God and submission to His will comes before praying for ourselves. Too often I’ve been with those who jump into prayer with their gimme list without first acknowledging the One we are talking to. That could indicate an attitude that God is more like a genie in a bottle than the King of kings and Lord of lords, the wise ruler of the universe.

This order of worship first does not eliminate prayer for daily needs, yet it is helpful to note that this model prayer asks for things that God already promises to give His people. Jesus said prior to this that God knows their needs and not to be anxious about what they will eat, drink or wear. He adds, “But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you.” (Matthew 6:33)

We are also to pray that God will “forgive us” — something He has already done, yet 1 John 1:9 says, “If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness” (1 John 1:9) indicating the need to always acknowledge sin, agreeing with God about it and keeping ‘short accounts’ as we pray. My personal sin is a barrier to answered prayer. It can even block my desire to pray, so confession is a vital part of how Jesus wants us to pray.

Included is forgiving others. It is another sin to hold grudges against those who have sinned against me. Jesus died for them too. I have no right to block His grace toward them with my unforgiveness. This only one reason to ask Him to protect me from the evil one and from temptation. The NT teaches that God is not the source of it, yet temptation happens. The truth is, God has already made a promise about this also . . .

No temptation has overtaken you that is not common to man. God is faithful, and he will not let you be tempted beyond your ability, but with the temptation he will also provide the way of escape, that you may be able to endure it. (1 Corinthians 10:13)

As today’s devotional says, the goal of all prayer is to bring glory to God. Praying as Jesus taught brings answers that do just that:

Whatever you ask in my name, this I will do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son. If you ask me anything in my name, I will do it. (John 14:13–14)

Lord Jesus, I know the man who wrote this devotional and know how his life honors You. He ‘practices what he preaches’ and serves as a model for obedience, particularly in these thoughts about prayer and about bringing honor and glory to You. Forgive me when I’ve come with a ‘gimme’ list wanting answers that would make my life more comfortable. Put in my heart a deeper desire to give You glory, including in how I pray.

MORE: The psalms focus on praise and include the elements of prayer that Jesus outlines. Read them and notice how the writers speak to God.

 

 

No comments: