March 17, 2023

From the bottom of my heart . . .

 

What I believe affects how I live. While all sorts of ideas float around about how that works and how to change a belief system, this one works for me:

I appeal to you therefore, brothers, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God, which is your spiritual worship. Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect. (Romans 12:1–2)

After he confessed his sin, David said it this way: “Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a right spirit within me.” (Psalm 51:10) Apart from God, my way of thinking apart is sinful. Admitting that is the first step toward a transformed mind.

Mind renewal is the work of God through faith in Christ. The NT tells those who have faith in Jesus to change their ways. It says, “ . . . assuming that you have heard about him and were taught in him, as the truth is in Jesus, to put off your old self, which belongs to your former manner of life and is corrupt through deceitful desires, and to be renewed in the spirit of your minds, and to put on the new self, created after the likeness of God in true righteousness and holiness.” (Ephesians 4:21–24)

This means choosing to think the way Jesus thinks rather than hang on to my old beliefs. That is easier said than done, for most of us are unaware of how we think until that thinking is challenged, usually by trials. I discovered my fear of heights on the side of a cliff with shale under my feet — and I thought I trusted God for my safety! In other words, some ‘beliefs’ are easier to declare when they don’t get tested!

MacArthur says that to hallow or honor God’s name, we need to first believe that He exists (Hebrews 11:6) yet beyond that, our belief system about God must not be in error. Some say He is a God of love so everyone will be saved and there is no hell. Some say He is a God of wrath and saves only ‘good’ people. The list goes on and those with an erroneous concept of God are not honoring His name. The Jewish leaders of Jesus’ day thought they worshiped the true God, but Jesus called them children of the Devil because they rejected God’s Word:

You are of your father the devil, and your will is to do your father’s desires. He was a murderer from the beginning, and does not stand in the truth, because there is no truth in him . . . . If I tell the truth, why do you not believe me? Whoever is of God hears the words of God. The reason why you do not hear them is that you are not of God.” (John 8:44–47)

A true believer knows that sound Biblical doctrine about God is essential. God is not honored by false teaching; however false teaching has continually plagued the Body of Christ. Christians must be in the Word of God and obeying it so our belief system is true and our behavior corresponds.

This affects how I talk and treat others. It affects my daily routine and all choices. Some are in line with what the Lord has shown me, yet I struggle with habits and realize those that do not honor God are based on believing something that is more like ‘me first’ that it is like Jesus. Again, this shows how obedience, even in the small things, is important; it declares that I believe God. He is worthy to be honored.

Hallowing God’s name also involves being aware of His presence and able to focus on His priorities. I need to see all of life from His perspective, like David did . . .

I bless the Lord who gives me counsel; in the night also my heart instructs me. I have set the Lord always before me; because he is at my right hand, I shall not be shaken. Therefore my heart is glad, and my whole being rejoices; my flesh also dwells secure. (Psalm 16:7–9)

If my theology is correct but I don’t obey Him, then I dishonor God. This is also hypocrisy. How can I say God loves the world if I don’t love my neighbor? How can I say God hates sin if I indulge in it? This means being different — a person who thinks God’s thoughts and lives them out. This is what He calls me to do.

But you are a chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people for his own possession, that you may proclaim the excellencies of him who called you out of darkness into his marvelous light. (1 Peter 2:9)

Jesus, make me aware of You all the time. Start in my heart and be in my thoughts and actions. May my life lift You high because You have renewed my thinking!

MEMORIZE 1 Peter 2:9-12 and live like it!

 

 

No comments: