March 2, 2023

Always pray . . .

 

Lately the Lord is reinforcing that I should “always pray and not lose heart.” (Luke 18:1) He is using dreams as part of His lesson plan, not dreams about prayer, but dreams that cause me to lose heart. The lesson is that when I pray for a good sleep and meaningful dreams, that is what happens, but if I forget, like I did last night, then I have dreams that leave me upset and joyless. As today’s devotional says, prayer must not be limited to certain times, places, or circumstances.

MacArthur points out that Scripture records people praying in the morning, evening, three times a day, before meals, after meals, at bedtime, at midnight, day and night, in their youth, in their old age, when troubled, and when joyful. Also, there are no limits on the place or circumstances. Prayer happened in a cave, in a closet, in a garden, on a mountainside, by a river, by the sea, in the street, in the temple, in bed, at home, in the stomach of a fish, in battle, on a housetop, in a prison, in the wilderness, and on a cross.

I relate. These days I find myself praying while walking, doing dishes, sitting in front of my computer, when the phone rings, as I am sewing, with others on the phone, before meals, before bed, and after realizing that I didn’t pray and should have.

The Bible is filled with prayer and examples of the above truth. The first NT book offers when and how to pray and who and what to pray for:

But I say to you, Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you . . .  (Matthew 5:44)

And when you pray, you must not be like the hypocrites. For they love to stand and pray in the synagogues and at the street corners, that they may be seen by others. Truly, I say to you, they have received their reward. But when you pray, go into your room and shut the door and pray to your Father who is in secret. And your Father who sees in secret will reward you. (Matthew 6:5–6)

Pray earnestly to the Lord of the harvest to send out laborers into his harvest. (Matthew 9:38)

And after (Jesus) had dismissed the crowds, he went up on the mountain by himself to pray. When evening came, he was there alone. (Matthew 14:23)

Then children were brought to him that he might lay his hands on them and pray . . . . (Matthew 19:13)

Going a little farther he fell on his face and prayed, saying, “My Father, if it be possible, let this cup pass from me; nevertheless, not as I will, but as you will.” (Matthew 26:39)

Watch and pray that you may not enter into temptation. The spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak. (Matthew 26:41)

So, leaving them again, he went away and prayed for the third time, saying the same words again. (Matthew 26:44)

I’m to pray for those who oppose my faith, pray privately and never for show, pray God will mobilize disciple-makers, pray alone, for others, and for God’s will to be done even if it costs me something. I’m to pray regarding temptation remembering that as willing that I might be, my old nature is still unable to do anything without the enabling of the Spirit. And if the burdens are not released, I’m to pray until they are, even if that involves repeating my requests.

It is easier to gripe about opposition, egotistical to boast about my prayer life, be discouraged when I hear the need for workers, pray only in the company of others and pray only for myself. How often do I tell God what to do instead of saying, “Thy will be done”? And how often do I forget to pray, “Lead me not into temptation but deliver me from the evil one”? And perhaps my ‘faith that God hears and I only need to say it once’ is merely an excuse because I’m too lazy to keep asking God for something?

Lord Jesus, You invite me to ask in Your name and You will give me whatever I ask. This means far more than a tag line at the end of my prayer. Your name represents all that You are and when I pray, my requests are to be consistent with all that You are. This means knowing You, not just as an acquaintance but deeply, with understanding of how You think and realizing Your plans and goals for Your people. I must spend time with You, alone on a mountain, or in front of a sink piled with dishes, or when I wake up, or before I go to bed. May I always be aware of Your presence and always ready to talk with You about everything.

MORE: Print out this post and use it for prayer prompts about all current plans, thoughts, and concerns.

 

No comments: