March 11, 2023

The main thing . . .


Daniel prayed with God’s glory in mind. He used words like “for your own sake, O Lord, make your face to shine upon your sanctuary” and “see our desolations, and the city that is called by your name” and “Pay attention and act. Delay not, for your own sake, O my God, because your city and your people are called by your name.” (Daniel 9:16–19)

Last night I praised God for what He is doing in a family member, however I realized that my words could be interpreted as praise for that person rather than the God who is changing his life. Today’s devotional is about giving God glory, about recognizing Him for who He is and to respond appropriately. The Word of God is full of ways to do that.

I can praise Him verbally: “I give thanks to you, O Lord my God, with my whole heart, and I will glorify your name forever.” (Psalm 86:12) Note, this is from the heart, not mere lip service. Speaking well of God is hypocrisy if it is not accompanied by obedience. The entire Bible calls us to do what God says and in that, we reflect His image to the world.

A third way is praying in Jesus’ name. “Whatever you ask in my name, I will do it so that the Father may be glorified in the Son” (John 14:13). To pray in Jesus’ name is to align our prayers and desires with God’s purposes. That glorifies Him.

So also does spiritual fruit, those attitudes and actions that happen when my life is submitted to and ruled by the Holy Spirit. “My Father is glorified by this: that you produce much fruit and prove to be my disciples” (John 15:8). This fruit is outlined in Galatians 5:22-23, John 4:35-36, and Colossians 1:10.

God is also glorified when we do not sin with our body. “Flee from sexual immorality. Every other sin a person commits is outside the body, but the sexually immoral person sins against his own body. Or do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit within you, whom you have from God? You are not your own, for you were bought with a price. So glorify God in your body.” (1 Corinthians 6:18–20)

Being generous is another way to glorify God. Freedom to give is a shout out that God will take care of our needs, so we can gladly share what we have with others. 2 Corinthians 9:13 says it. My sister was totally convinced. She often gave to her own loss, only to have God take care of her needs in surprising ways. Her life and the lives of God’s generous people are a witness to God’s glory.

Keep your conduct among the Gentiles honorable, so that when they speak against you as evildoers, they may see your good deeds and glorify God on the day of visitation. (1 Peter 2:12)

In the same way, let your light shine before others, so that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father who is in heaven. (Matthew 5:16)

These days, believers in many parts of the world bring glory to God because they do not back down under persecution, even when facing death:

Yet if anyone suffers as a Christian, let him not be ashamed, but let him glorify God in that name. (1 Peter 4:16)

The list could go on, but it is summed up by this: “So, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God. Give no offense to Jews or to Greeks or to the church of God, just as I try to please everyone in everything I do, not seeking my own advantage, but that of many, that they may be saved.” (1 Corinthians 10:31–33)

God’s desire is to reach sinners. Jesus died that people could be forgiven, changed, and spend eternity with Him. That message glorifies God. Oddly enough, many do not want to hear it. For that reason, I pray that God will change their ‘I wants’ to a deep love for God based on knowing He loves them and provides salvation for them. Seeking my own glory will not do that.

Jesus, I am Your ambassador to a dying world and have Your Spirit in my heart and your Word in my hands. I’m to speak your truth in love and live so I honor You. I do not deserve your mercy and grace, but ask You to grant me all that I need to glorify You. That includes the desire to do it, confessing sin and praying for others as well as doing whatever else possible to make known the wonder of You.

MORE: Using a good concordance or using ‘search’ in a computer Bible, do a word study on ‘glorify God’ and meditate on what the Bible says about this. Begin with Psalm 50:23.

 

 

No comments: