March 7, 2023

No unconfessed sin, no doubt

 

Faith not only believes God exists, but also that He rewards those who seek Him. This means faith is a huge part of answered prayer. This means that when I pray, I’m asking God to do what I cannot do without doubt that He can and will help me.

Take the reverse of that. If my prayers go unanswered, it could be that I am praying without faith and could even be trusting myself (or someone else) to do what I want done. This is a problem because “going my own way” is the essence of sin, and God does not listen to the prayers of those who harbor sin. I might think I’m praying because this is something I cannot do, but I also might be praying because I think my goodness is worthy of an answer. Note the contrasts in these prayers:

I prayed to the Lord my God and made confession, saying, “O Lord, the great and awesome God, who keeps covenant and steadfast love with those who love him and keep his commandments, we have sinned and done wrong and acted wickedly and rebelled, turning aside from your commandments and rules. (Daniel 9:4–5)

Two men went up into the temple to pray, one a Pharisee and the other a tax collector. The Pharisee, standing by himself, prayed thus: ‘God, I thank you that I am not like other men, extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even like this tax collector. I fast twice a week; I give tithes of all that I get.’ But the tax collector, standing far off, would not even lift up his eyes to heaven, but beat his breast, saying, ‘God, be merciful to me, a sinner!’ I tell you; this man went down to his house justified, rather than the other. For everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, but the one who humbles himself will be exalted. (Luke 18:10–14)

Daniel and the tax collector both saw themselves as woeful sinners and God heard them. The ‘good’ guy lost out. His faith was in himself. This ‘faith in me’ can lurk behind any claim to these promises:

Therefore, I tell you, whatever you ask in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours. (Mark 11:24)

Jesus said,  “. . . truly, I say to you, if you have faith like a grain of mustard seed, you will say to this mountain, ‘Move from here to there,’ and it will move, and nothing will be impossible for you.” (Matthew 17:20)

I’m thinking of what could happen if I had no unbelief in my life and no trust in my own resources. What if I relied on God one hundred percent. Would I go to doctors or borrow money? Would He change lives all over the world because I prayed in faith?

Charles Allen, in All Things Are Possible Through Prayer, writes, “We believe in prayer. Then why don’t we pray? The real reason is, we have nothing to pray for. We have everything we want without praying. The supreme tragedy of most people is that they want so little, and they are satisfied with almost nothing.”

Abraham is called the founder of faith. God told him,  “I have made you the father of many nations” and Paul referred to him when speaking of faith in God “who gives life to the dead and calls into existence the things that do not exist.” (Romans 4:17) What could that mean in my prayer life? Or if I were not so blessed as to be satisfied. I often call myself, ‘God’s spoiled brat.’ What if all my blessings were gone? Would I panic? Or pray?

Doubt shows up in wavering. James wrote about asking for wisdom: “But let him ask in faith, with no doubting, for the one who doubts is like a wave of the sea that is driven and tossed by the wind.” (James 1:6) Doubt is recognized by thoughts like, ‘God cannot . . . .’ or ‘I’m not worthy’ as if that had anything to do with it.

Instead, both Daniel and the tax-collector approached God with an attitude of confession and self-denial. Daniel’s years of faithful service in Babylon didn’t enter his mind. He thought only for mercy for himself and his people. It follows that prayer is drawing near with a true heart in full assurance of faith, with hearts sprinkled clean from an evil conscience . . . .” (Hebrews 10:22)

Jesus, the privilege of talking with You, and asking You to hear and respond to my requests is rooted in grace and Your sacrifice. Prayers are not answered when offered in presumption or self-righteousness or even doubt because they do not honor You and You alone. Besides, You have already given Your life for me. Everything I can ask for is nothing compared to that. May I honor You when I pray. May I always be aware of my sinfulness and Your forgiveness. May I also pray with confidence that You hear and answer every prayer that conforms to Your will without any hint of doubt or selfishness.

MORE: Memorize Psalm 117 and put my focus on His faithfulness as I pray.

 

 

No comments: