March 21, 2023

Responding to Christ’s invitation

 

Years ago, I was part of a team in an evangelism training program. We went to the homes of people who visited the church and asked permission to share the gospel with them. One visit stands out. We were talking to a shy young woman. She said yes to every question. When we got to the crux of the issue — would she like to accept Christ — she said yes again. At that point, the two other people on my team talked her out of it.

I was shocked until they explained; had she really been convicted and heard the call of Christ, talking her out of it would have been impossible. They realized that she was compliant and saying yes only because she thought it was the right way to respond to ‘grown ups’, not because Jesus was speaking to her heart.

How many people have done something like that? How many children grew up in the church and assumed they were in God’s family but had never heard His call on their life? Jesus said:

“Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. On that day many will say to me, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and cast out demons in your name, and do many mighty works in your name?’ And then will I declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from me, you workers of lawlessness.’ (Matthew 7:21–23)

Too often the gospel comes across as ‘pray the prayer and you are in’ but this is putting the cart before the horse. First the invitation: “You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you that you should go and bear fruit and that your fruit should abide . . . .” (John 15:16)

The invitation is a package. It includes being called and chosen and those who are in that group are reborn and become God’s children. Their lives are changed and they are with Him and faithful to Him:

“For many are called, but few are chosen.” (Matthew 22:14)

“. . . He is Lord of lords and King of kings, and those with him are called and chosen and faithful.” (Revelation 17:14)

“But to all who did receive him, who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God . . . .” (John 1:12, also John 3:1-21)

I remember a belligerent man saying he could become a Christian any time he wanted to. I said, “No, you cannot. Jesus must call you first.”

This is not a popular thought. Our human desire is to be in charge, controlling what happens to us and having a say in what we believe. However, the Bible is clear that “no one seeks God” and that “everyone goes their own way” and it is for this independent, ‘I will do it myself’ attitude that Jesus died, rose again, and offers us rebirth and a new life in His kingdom, a realm where He rules and we do not.

Salvation is God’s work. We need to respond when He calls, but He calls when He knows we will respond; His Spirit has done the work of conviction in our hearts and we are ready and willing to have a relationship with Him. This calling is powerful. Many testify, “I went forward even though I didn’t want to and even held on to the chair in front of me” or “I don’t know why or how, but I knew God called me and I was powerless to say no to Him.”

For others, the invite isn’t as obvious and most think their response made them part of God’s kingdom. However, without the call, they would not have been chosen to be in it, they would not be given that new life from God, a heart that hates sin and repents, and they would not find themselves loving and obeying the Lord Jesus Christ. As Jesus said, some will think they are there, go the through the actions that Christians are supposed to do, like going to church or being baptized, yet they do not have that personal relationship with the Lord that happens when His Spirit changes lives. As someone once said, standing in the garage does not mean you are a car.

Answering the call of God requires faith. Up front, it can seem like giving up everything, or doing things that are not much fun, or undergoing far too much change. Faith is believing God rewards those who seek Him, not that God makes life miserable. This is the One who created all things by speaking, who makes flowers and sunsets, who heals the sick and feeds the multitudes, the One who died so we might live. If I could do those things, I’d have reasons to trust myself. Ha.

Lord Jesus, sometimes my faith is nurtured as I look at a new baby, or an orchid, or the latest photo from outer space, or even just as I breathe and walk from place to place. You and what You do in my life is a marvel. Yesterday you used a mistake I made weeks ago — cutting and sewing pieces that were useless — to supply something much needed for another project . . . and I laughed in delight at Your grace. On Sunday, I decided to do something that seemed a bit selfish at the time, but You used that choice as an unexpected opportunity to be a big help to another person. How wonderful! Being in Your kingdom is truly an abundant life. Thank You for inviting, choosing and enabling me to say YES and to trust You and know that You are good.

DO THIS: Make a list of what God invites me to do and the results of being faithful. Compare that to what the Father asked of His Son and the results of His obedience.

 

 

No comments: