March 10, 2023

Praise and prayer come first . . .

 

What is it that makes prayer a last resort, something to turn to when ‘all else fails’ and we say things like, ‘all I can do is pray’ as if I only need God when I cannot do it myself? Are my efforts as good as or better than what God can do in answer to prayer? Is this thinking the reason why it takes me so long to learn to pray first, before the day even starts, never mind those times when problems arise?

These thoughts uncover the importance of worship and praise. It takes my focus off my puny efforts and puts them on the One who never fails — and makes me more apt to pray first!

Prayer must include worship. This is how Daniel prayed:

“O Lord, the great and awesome God, who keeps covenant and steadfast love with those who love him and keep his commandments . . . . to you, O Lord, belongs righteousness . . . . to the Lord our God belong mercy and forgiveness . . . .” (Daniel 9:4–9)

Speaking the power and wonder of God puts my efforts in their place. How can anything I do match the One who spoke the universe into existence and who never breaks a promise? How can I think that my words or actions have power to change lives, even move mountains unless they are enabled by the One who hears and answers prayer? Speaking His attributes reminds all who hear that God is who He is, building faith and validating the One to whom we pray. I know God can do all things; saying so is an important part of faith and of prayer.

I also need to say what the enemy of my soul cannot do. A song says, “Greater is He who is in me than he who is in the world.” Saying this aloud affirms it in my mind but also tells my attacker that he cannot go against Almighty God. He is already defeated and his temptations and lies are useless before the power of the Holy Spirit and the One who is truth.

When I pray, the distractions soon begin. When I say words like “There is no other god besides God, a righteous God and a Savior; there is none besides Him. He says, ’Turn to me and be saved, all the ends of the earth! For I am God, and there is no other.’ ” (Isaiah 45:21–22) then this usurper who tries to turn my attention from the Lord hears me, and he must leave.

The reason he must leave is that he lives in darkness and cannot walk in the light. He lives the realm of lies, pride, and resistance to God. Therefore, when I declare truth and walk in it with a submissive spirit, he must go. “Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you.” (James 4:7) A big part of this declaration includes praise to God for who He is and what He does.

Daniel calls Him “the great and awesome God” speaking of His power. He is the one “who keeps His covenant” pointing to His faithfulness. His justice and holiness are lifted up in words like, “righteousness belongs to Thee” and remind me that God never makes mistakes. He is also “merciful” and “forgiving” so His arms are open to me, to pull me close and keep me in His care.

Jesus, You are gracious and loving. You never fail in making Your power, majesty, faithfulness, love, holiness, compassion, and forgiveness known to me. I’ve been blessed and You continue to bless me and answer my prayers. Enable me to make praise and prayer a priority, a first-things-first, rather than wait until trouble comes or my mistakes start showing up.

READ: Psalm 107 and take note of the reasons the redeemed cry out to the Lord.

 

 

No comments: