March 27, 2023

Don’t put the cart before the horse

When teaching disciples how to pray, Jesus gives an outline for us to add our thoughts. In the section on sin, He says:

“Forgive us our debts, as we also have forgiven our debtors. And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil. For if you forgive others their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you, but if you do not forgive others their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses.” (Matthew 6:12–15)

I wondered about the second sentence inserted between the first and third that speak about forgiveness and forgiving others. How does asking for protection against temptation and evil relate to that? I’ve one idea that comes from my experience but first, MacArthur says Scripture speaks of two kinds of forgiveness: judicial and parental. Judicial forgiveness comes from God the righteous Judge, who wipes sin off the record and sets us free from its punishment and guilt. At salvation He forgives all sins—past, present, and future—and pronounces us righteous for eternity.

Parental forgiveness is about keeping short accounts with God. We do not lose our salvation when we sin, but it puts a barrier between us and our fellowship with our Father. That’s the kind of forgiveness Jesus speaks of in Matthew 6:12. It also fits what John wrote: “If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.” (1 John 1:9)

This forgiveness restores our intimacy with God. If sin is not confessed, it messes with prayer. I cannot ask God much of anything without confessing known sin. Further, if I see or experience sin that others commit, I cannot expect God to deal with them if I am frustrated and angry against the sin I see in others. I must first deal with my attitude, even forgive them, before God deals with their sin. This is hinted in Proverbs: “Do not rejoice when your enemy falls, and let not your heart be glad when he stumbles, lest the Lord see it and be displeased, and turn away his anger from him.” (Proverbs 24:17–18) God sees my sin and could easily turn from those I refuse to forgive and put His attention first on my problem!

In other words, these three verses are connected. Temptation and evil thoughts and attitudes toward those who ‘owe me’ must be dealt with before I can expect God to pay attention to any requests to deal with those who have sinned against me. My sinful lack of forgiveness blocks any request I make.

Put on then, as God’s chosen ones, holy and beloved, compassionate hearts, kindness, humility, meekness, and patience, bearing with one another and, if one has a complaint against another, forgiving each other; as the Lord has forgiven you, so you also must forgive. And above all these put on love, which binds everything together in perfect harmony. (Colossians 3:12–14)

The need for judicial forgiveness is huge in this world. Sin renders all people spiritually dead, alienated from God and from others. Sin ruins lives and plagues people with guilt and fear. Even if anyone seems carefree, their sin keeps them from hearing and knowing God. Forgiveness is the only solution and the only source of forgiveness is Jesus Christ.

The need for parental forgiveness is also huge. When Christians sin, that forgiveness has been secured in Jesus Christ, yet until we admit our sin, it interferes with God’s fullest blessings on our lives and ministry. Any sin, bitterness, prejudice, and stubbornly holding grudges also interferes with our testimony to those who are in need of judicial forgiveness. They can easily excuse their need by concluding, “it didn’t do anything for those Christians so why bother?”

As a Christian, I am judicially forgiven and will never come into condemnation. Yet I must never presume on God’s grace and think that my sins have no consequences. Instead, they erode my relationship with my Heavenly Father, block answers to prayer, and make me look much like the people that need judicial forgiveness.

Jesus, You have taught me to be cautious in my judgment of unsaved people. Without You, they have no option but to do their own thing. However, I can be frustrated with those who are saved yet live with worldly and selfish attitudes and actions, without thinking that I also am guilty at times too. You forgave me and while You want me to keep short accounts, You also want me to be compassionate, kind, humble, meek and patient with others, forgiving them as You have forgiven me. That does not mean endorsing sin, but it does mean being like You — a forgiving and loving God.

EXTRA: What does the Bible teach about how I should act toward others who are caught up in sin? Check 1 Corinthians and then Colossians.

 

No comments: