March 31, 2024

When someone sins against me…

 
What does a Christian do when another Christian is rude to them or does some action that is obviously selfish and thoughtless? When this happens to me, I have options. I can be angry and tell everyone what a jerk that person is. Or I can let their behavior make me bitter and my life becomes selfish too. Or I can retaliate toward that person by being rude to them. Or I could rebuke them in total frustration for being so mean. Or I could talk to God about it and ask Him to rebuke that person and make them apologize. However, I know that none of these options are biblical because they are all about ‘poor me’ and not at all like Jesus.

There are many biblical examples of what to do. When OT Abraham told a king his wife Sarah was his sister and the king took her, God revealed the truth to this king and said:
Now then, return the man’s wife, for he is a prophet, so that he will pray for you, and you shall live. But if you do not return her, know that you shall surely die, you and all who are yours.” (Genesis 20:7)
God’s man Abraham, was a prophet. His response to this sin was prayer that the one who sinned against him would not die because of his actions.

Another OT story shows how another prophet responded when the people sinned against God by asking for a king. He called them on their sin but also encouraged them:
Moreover, as for me, far be it from me that I should sin against the Lord by ceasing to pray for you, and I will instruct you in the good and the right way. Only fear the Lord and serve him faithfully with all your heart. For consider what great things he has done for you. (1 Samuel 12:23–24)
In the story of Job, his ‘friends’ insisted this man sinned when he had not. Finally God said to them: “Therefore take seven bulls and seven rams and go to my servant Job and offer up a burnt offering for yourselves. And my servant Job shall pray for you, for I will accept his prayer not to deal with you according to your folly. For you have not spoken of me what is right, as my servant Job has.” (Job 42:8)

This tells me that if others should falsely accuse me or do any other sin against me, I should ask God not to deal with them according to their sin but be merciful, and at the same time speak rightly to God (and others) as well as keeping my own life right before Him.

The NT offers a specific example for those who are ill and includes any sins that the sick may be guilty of — showing that prayer is the response of other Christians:
Is anyone among you sick? Let him call for the elders of the church, and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord. And the prayer of faith will save the one who is sick, and the Lord will raise him up. And if he has committed sins, he will be forgiven. Therefore, confess your sins to one another and pray for one another, that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous person has great power as it is working. (James 5:14–16)
The following verses give the basic will of God in how I must react when another sins, against me or in other ways:
My brothers, if anyone among you wanders from the truth and someone brings him back, let him know that whoever brings back a sinner from his wandering will save his soul from death and will cover a multitude of sins. (James 5:19–20)
If anyone sees his brother committing a sin not leading to death, he shall ask, and God will give him life—to those who commit sins that do not lead to death. There is sin that leads to death; I do not say that one should pray for that. (1 John 5:16)
I’m challenged when God puts on me a burden of discernment concerning others and reveals things that are sinful. He wants me to take this burden before Him and intercede that He would give them life, restoring them to walk in the Spirit and not the flesh. He also makes clear that I’m not to do anything but pay attention to Him until He conveys His mind to me about the one for whom I must intercede.

PRAY: Lord Jesus, I know that You want me to be identified with You and alert to Your view about others. My fleshy view will always be contrary to that. This means You need to see the “travail of Your soul in me” and I need to be so identified with You that I see Your view about people who are caught by sin. Enable me to intercede whole-heartedly so You are honored and others are restored and completely blessed.


No comments: