March 29, 2024

God is Enough


 
This year started with the thought that God is enough. I picked a devotional book with that title thinking it would continually affirm the truth that God indeed is enough. However, like many church services and preachers, this book is beginning to tell me what I must do and sound as if God is not enough. Even when on the topic of faith, the onus is on me to believe rather than affirming that God’s grace comes to me by faith and this is not on me — it is His gift.
For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast. (Ephesians 2:8–9)
Then the writer shakes a finger at the reader saying if we don’t receive that gift we cannot be saved, as if salvation is up to the sinner to do something. Yet Jesus says,
You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you that you should go and bear fruit and that your fruit should abide, so that whatever you ask the Father in my name, he may give it to you. (John 15:16)
At this, some will even say that I must then be fruitful However, even that is a gift from the Holy Spirit. He produces it; I cannot.
Now the works of the flesh are evident: sexual immorality, impurity, sensuality, idolatry, sorcery, enmity, strife, jealousy, fits of anger, rivalries, dissensions, divisions, envy, drunkenness, orgies, and things like these. I warn you, as I warned you before, that those who do such things will not inherit the kingdom of God. But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law. And those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires. (Galatians 5:19–24)
Even that last line telling me to crucify the flesh is His doing:
I have been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me. And the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me. (Galatians 2:20)
He died and my old life died with Him. He lives and I live in Him because He gave Himself for me.

At the same time, salvation and the Christian life is not about being passive, just enjoying God at work without any response. Because He lives in me, He will have me busy. One vital activity is that I am supposed to keep short accounts with Him…
If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. (1 John 1:9)
Yet it is He who reveals sin to me, motivates confession, forgives it, and cleanses me. Jesus is involved in every action that He wants me to take. The flesh, even in its deadness, will resist and say NO. The world mocks me. The devil tries to stop me. Jesus is behind every YES, from putting the ideas in my head, challenging the flesh, silencing the devil, and making the world’s ideas foolish and sinful. He is enough. 

I am to declare the good news to others yet Jesus gives the words, the opportunities, even the motivation to not back away but to do it. Paul said, “For I did not shrink from declaring to you the whole counsel of God.“ (Acts 20:27) Yes, some will shrink back and not obey yet even as we do obey, it is God who is making it happen. He is the One who puts the words on our lips and His love for others in our hearts. Without Jesus, none of that happens.

PRAY: Lord, when You are the focus and Your Spirit fills my heart, doing what you say is as natural as breathing. This is what faith looks like — it is living in the total assurance that You take care of everything, from tough times to supplying all my needs. You are enough.


No comments: