March 3, 2024

The Greatest Joy


Last night my knee was bothering me and I complained to God that unless this was healed, I could not go on. This morning He rebukes me for idolatry of good health and comfort. I can easily criticize others for making comfort their god, but He wants me to look in the mirror. I can easily write how God is enough, no matter what, but He shows me that when the ‘no matter what’ is painful, I’m full of hot air. I know the facts — God is enough — but when push comes to shove, emotions so easily pull the train and faith becomes the caboose or gets left behind.

He speaks with this statement: Our souls are of such a divine origin that no other joy but God can ever satisfy them. God made the soul for this high destiny, and His object, therefore, in all the discipline and training of life, is to bring us to the place where we will find our joy in Him alone.

To do that, He must “stain our pleasant pictures and thwart and disappoint our brightest anticipations. He detaches us from all else that He may attach us to himself.” This is not God being mean or unkind. He wants me to be truly joyful in Him, not in “the good life” or His many blessings.

As today’s devotional says, this does not mean that all my friends must die or my prosperity will be taken away, but that my joy will not come from inner or outward causes. Only from Him. He wants me to come to the end of everything that is not God in order to find my joy in Him alone.
It will be said on that day, “Behold, this is our God; we have waited for him, that he might save us. This is the Lord; we have waited for him; let us be glad and rejoice in his salvation.” (Isaiah 25:9)
I’ve been looking to Him to give me joy and He is waiting for me to get this right, to seek Him for joy, not seek well-being or anything else to make me joyful. His disciplines are leading me to this:
Then I will go to the altar of God, to God my exceeding joy, and I will praise you with the lyre, O God, my God. (Psalm 43:4)
Again, today’s devotional sums it up well. I know that God is always seeking to make Himself my “exceeding joy” but until I have been detached from all earthly joys and am ready to find my joy in Him alone, I must still wait for Him. I was assuming the delay was God’s, but realize that it is God who is waiting for me.

PRAY: Jesus, in years of Bible study, much of my slow learning is because I tend to rely on myself, a pitiful excuse for being slow and stubborn, for thinking I know better than You. You show me over and over that self is dead and I need to let that fact be part of what pulls me through the years. You make me love the verses that say I am alive in You, yet living them is another story. Some say that “letting go and letting God” is a Christian cliche, but reality, it is a huge part of being able to experience Your great joy. Forgive me for holding on to my ideas of what will make me happy and enable me to rest in You, my greatest joy.

 

No comments: