March 12, 2024

Trusting God in all things…

 
Last night, every prayer request involved situations over which none of us have any control or ability or even ideas about what to do. They involved broken relationships, lack of opportunities, and others making poor or even dangerous decisions. Today’s devotional is about letting go of our possessions, yet this and those prayer requests require the same attitude — total trust in God.

Broken relationships prompted: “Behold, I will send you Elijah the prophet before the great and awesome day of the Lord comes. And he will turn the hearts of fathers to their children and the hearts of children to their fathers, lest I come and strike the land with a decree of utter destruction.” (Malachi 4:5–6) God is able to turn hearts even in these days of split families and feuds between people and nations. While I am responsible to live at peace with those in my life, there is nothing I can do that will change the wars in the world or bring peace between fathers and children. Surely we need to trust the Lord God to change things.

Lack of opportunities can involve everything from wanting a job, wanting a new car, to wanting a husband. Waiting on the Lord does not mean sitting and waiting for the phone to ring, yet in human searching for changes or new things, the doors can be repeatedly closed. My best efforts do not automatically mean success. Writers can send book proposals to dozens of editors. Skilled workers can submit resumes to dozens of employers. People can belong to several match-making groups yet still be disappointed. God must be trusted to open doors.

Paul and Silas were in jail — praying, singing and worshiping God. They did not look for a way to escape yet…
Suddenly there was a great earthquake, so that the foundations of the prison were shaken. And immediately all the doors were opened, and everyone’s bonds were unfastened. (Acts 16:26)
Even then, the opportunity was not for escape but to lead the jailer and his household to faith in Jesus Christ. We have an Almighty God who can open literal doors as well as doors of opportunities to do His will.

As for decision making, He says:
If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask God, who gives generously to all without reproach, and it will be given him. But let him ask in faith, with no doubting, for the one who doubts is like a wave of the sea that is driven and tossed by the wind. For that person must not suppose that he will receive anything from the Lord; he is a double-minded man, unstable in all his ways. (James 1:5–8)
This is an incredible promise even though it comes with a caveat; I must ask in faith that God will answer. Why do I need to be certain? Because God’s answers are often not what I expect. What if I wanted wisdom for buying a new car and He told me not to buy a car at all? What if I wanted wisdom for other choices and His choice was not on my list? This happens, and I must not let my I-wants clash with His wisdom because, as these verses say, my I-wants will mess with my faith. When they are strong, I tend to assume they come from God and make me think He will do whatever I want. Again, this calls for prayer but also a plea to be yielded to the will of God and to whatever He knows is best for me. And this is how I can pray for others — for wisdom and faith, both from God and given by His goodness.

PRAY: Lord, each day is filled with choices, never mind prayer needs that I cannot begin to do anything about, even pray specifically for because I don’t know what You want done in many situations. Surely I need wisdom in prayer as well as in taking action. Grant this to me today for all decisions, including what I need to do and what I need to avoid. May Your will be done in my life and in the lives of the people in my heart and in my prayers. And as I prayed yesterday, guide me in what to give away and what You want me to hold unto.


No comments: