March 1, 2024

Submission is always a prerequisite to resistance…

 

God hears the needs of our hearts. Yesterday, a big decision was confusing because of my emotions. Weighing the options didn’t help. Making a list of pros and cons didn’t help. I had a few strong I wants on both sides and had no sense of God’s will, except realizing how easy it can be to read His will according to my ‘I wants’ —as in giving emotions the power instead of looking for truth.

However, this morning I wondered if I should think of the negatives of both choices and see if that helps. But before I could grab paper and pen, this came to mind:

Then Jesus was led up by the Spirit into the wilderness to be tempted by the devil. And after fasting forty days and forty nights, he was hungry. And the tempter came and said to him, “If you are the Son of God, command these stones to become loaves of bread.” But he answered, “It is written, “ ‘Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that comes from the mouth of God.’ ” Then the devil took him to the holy city and set him on the pinnacle of the temple and said to him, “If you are the Son of God, throw yourself down, for it is written, “ ‘He will command his angels concerning you,’ and “ ‘On their hands they will bear you up, lest you strike your foot against a stone.’ ” Jesus said to him, “Again it is written, ‘You shall not put the Lord your God to the test.’ ” Again, the devil took him to a very high mountain and showed him all the kingdoms of the world and their glory. And he said to him, “All these I will give you, if you will fall down and worship me.” Then Jesus said to him, “Be gone, Satan! For it is written, “ ‘You shall worship the Lord your God and him only shall you serve.’ ” Then the devil left him, and behold, angels came and were ministering to him. (Matthew 4:1–11)
Ha! That is one thing that had never occurred to me; that the choices presented are a test. Do I know who is presenting at least one of them? Is the devil trying to get me to jump off a cliff so I can have something that appeals to me and using “God will help me do this” as an excuse to consider taking the leap?

Immediately my mixed emotions were gone. This does not mean that the devil is behind the choices; they could be an opportunity from God. Yet if the opportunity appeals to my flesh and will draw me away from genuine worship, then the devil is trying to twist it so that the will of God is thwarted. Thinking this could be a trap gave clarity. Making this decision is no longer muddled because of my personal ‘I wants’ — being clarified. God does this very well:
It is God who works in you, both to will and to work for his good pleasure. (Philippians 2:13)
In this case, it was not His will that first needed to be revealed, but that my will was clarified, changed or settled to want His will, no matter what it is. This could apply to many choices, such as  buy or sell, go or stay, say something or shut up.

Not only that, experience shows that the devil is able to use any option or choice as a temptation — if I am not clear on how I am thinking about it. In this case, a couple of strong I wants and a list of logical reasonings were not helping me do that. God made it black and white: Me — or the enemy? And that booted my wishes off to the side as non-issues.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you. (James 4:7)
Now I’ve done the first part and the second part and waiting to see if the devil takes the options with him or if this is a choice that God presents to us for our good and His glory.

PRAY: Jesus, I’ve shared this with my spouse. He and our son are going to decide, and I am totally okay with whatever decision they make. I do not want to “put You to the test” with the option that seems totally impossible, but if You will be glorified in it, that’s okay. I also will not balk or be unhappy with the easier choice and will worship and serve You no matter what. Thank You for giving me clarity on how to think about this!


No comments: