March 7, 2024

Interruptions and Detours

 
The goal is good. I go that way, but then comes a detour sign and my route changes with this interruption. The signs are not large. I need to keep my eyes open to see them and turn where they indicate. Soon I am back on the route originally planned after this loop de loop that took me through unfamiliar territory. If it had not been for the signs, I would have lost my sense of direction and location.

This time, the signs are minuscule. I feel like turning around, or at least pulling over to wring my hands and wonder what next. But that still small voice urges me to do the next thing. Oddly, even in unfamiliar territory, I always know what it is.

Joseph had this experience from a youth to a mature man — a long time. He was told his destiny in dreams but not the route. Did he focus on that message from his dreams? His story does not say he did and those dreams seemed unlikely as he was sold into slavery, mistreated, lied about, put in prison, forgotten, and finally became a leader in a foreign land. Then his betraying brothers showed up and he had the authority over them that his dream foretold. He could have taken revenge, but his detour taught him something…

But Joseph said to them, “Do not fear, for am I in the place of God? As for you, you meant evil against me, but God meant it for good, to bring it about that many people should be kept alive, as they are today. So do not fear; I will provide for you and your little ones.” Thus he comforted them and spoke kindly to them. (Genesis 50:19–21)
This was the lesson learned in the detour. He listened, responded to his trials as God desired, and came to his destiny with the attitude that God wanted for him. It was worth it all to weep at the end when his entire family was rescued.

This story makes me weep. It is God telling me that that His chastening and refining work of sorrow and trouble has a higher purpose. He can and will thwart my course, detour my plans. And put me on a path where I will reach the goals He has for me with an attitude that is far better than anything I could imagine. Like Joseph, He works all things together for my good — and for His glory.

Disappointments are gateways to prosperity in the very things we have thought they were going to ruin. It seems like God is slowing me down, putting obstacles in my way, yet these things are part of His purposes. Today’s devotional says that I must not conclude that all is over and give up in despair. These obstacles and challenges are shaping my heart and life for divine opportunities and challenges that are far better than my desires and goals. He is changing the very thing I resist and what seems to ruin good plans will turn into a crown of joy, a greater result and a destination far beyond what I  thought was His goal.
Now to him who is able to do far more abundantly than all that we ask or think, according to the power at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, forever and ever. Amen. (Ephesians 3:20–21)
PRAY: Lord Jesus, the KJV says You are “able to do exceeding abundantly above all that I ask or think” and my asking and thinking is already far more lofty than seems possible. Help me endure the present trial. I don’t want to detour from the seeming detour that You have put me on for I know that You know the way better than I do. In fact, You are the way. . . !


No comments: