March 19, 2024

Weeping may last only for a moment?

 


Those who believe that God is only interested in making us healthy and wealthy would not like the thoughts expressed in today’s devotional. It begins with, “Troubles come because of God’s faithfulness, not, as so many seem to think, because of His unfaithfulness.”

The author goes on to explain using the story of Lazarus (John 11). When their brother died, both Martha and Mary thought their trouble came because the Lord had failed to be there when he was in need. Martha said, “Lord, if you had been here, my brother would not have died. But even now I know that whatever you ask from God, God will give you” and Mary said, “Lord, if you had been here, my brother would not have died.”

Jesus spoke to Martha saying, “Your brother will rise again” and asked her if she believed that those who trusted Him would never die. He said nothing to Mary who was weeping but asked where Lazarus was buried and then wept with her. After that, He went to the tomb.

Before all this, his disciples thought Jesus would go to Lazarus when he was sick, but the text says, “Jesus loved Martha and her sister and Lazarus. So, when he heard that Lazarus was ill, he stayed two days longer in the place where he was.” He deliberately waited until this man died, then went, telling His disciples, “Our friend Lazarus has fallen asleep, but I go to awaken him” speaking of his death, not sleep. He told them, “Lazarus has died, and for your sake I am glad that I was not there, so that you may believe. But let us go to him.”

His absence had not been a mistake or an oversight. He planned not to be there; and His absence was for a purpose. He would do something greater than healing!

For me, this is timely but painful. My hubby has learned that his injury could take months to heal, and many like this never heal. The thought of him being in pain for a long time does not raise a question that God does not love him, but it does fill me with questions about His will for us. Does love mean this happened and He has a better plan and is saying, “I am glad for your sakes that I was not there”?

The devotional writer says, “Love can never be glad of anything that hurts its loved ones, unless there is to come out of the hurt some infinitely greater blessing.”

PRAY: Lord, it is difficult to think that this sorrow has a hidden blessing, particularly using this story to illustrate it, for I realize for some that perfect healing only comes to those who have been raised and are in eternity. Like my grandfather who was blind — and now can see. This week has been one of deep emotions, not frustration like Martha but more of the sadness of Mary. I know that You are feeling what I feel and yet You are not finished with us. As the devotional says, no matter how unlikely it seems, beyond every sorrow there is a blessing — and we do not want to miss it by supposing that you do not love us.


No comments: