March 10, 2024

Treasures?

 


Early in life I collected stamps. Later, it became pictures of Elvis Presley. After that, all I wanted to collect was information. Sometimes I save to my hard drive photos of art and fine quilts, just to look at and not possess because God has been teaching me something…
Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal, but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal. (Matthew 6:19–20)
I’ve wondered if growing weaker in body and memory is the reason for wanting to declutter, but when I read these verses, I think that the folly of collecting stuff is basically, “I cannot take it with me.” When my father died, he left the only possessions he was using — his electric shaver and a bottle of aftershave in a small cardboard box.

I look around me: three computers and an i-pad, a smart phone, yards and yards of fabric, sewing equipment, books including a stack of cookbooks, kitchen stuff, a full pantry, a full closet, an SUV and a bike, and so on and realize if God called me home today, none of it, even the most used or most loved stuff, would go with me. Possessions are really not mine anyway. All of it is on loan and I’m to be a good steward of it.

In the OT, God’s people were given a far more valuable possession:
And the Lord said to Aaron, “You shall have no inheritance in their land, neither shall you have any portion among them. I am your portion and your inheritance among the people of Israel. (Numbers 18:20)
What an amazing gift from God — Himself! This ensured that the Levites were content to live without any other possessions because in having nothing, they possessed all things, for God was their possession.

This remains true for God’s people now. Many NT verses speak of it, first concerning His supply of the necessities of life, but also all we need to serve and glorify Him:
Therefore do not be anxious, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ For the Gentiles seek after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them all. But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you. (Matthew 6:31–33)

His divine power has granted to us all things that pertain to life and godliness, through the knowledge of him who called us to his own glory and excellence, (2 Peter 1:3)

And God is able to make all grace abound to you, so that having all sufficiency in all things at all times, you may abound in every good work. (2 Corinthians 9:8)

He who did not spare his own Son but gave him up for us all, how will he not also with him graciously give us all things? (Romans 8:32)
All my physical possessions are supplied by God if I make seeking Him a priority. All spiritual needs are supplied by God as I serve Him. By grace, He gave me Jesus. By grace He supplies all that I need. I can only conclude that if I have any physical possession that I do not need or use, it should belong to someone else. Not only that, I learned from my generous sister that if I give something away yet eventually need it, God will somehow give it back to me. In other words, He is my resource, no one and nothing else.

PRAY: Jesus, it is easy to see that when my hands are full of my own things, I cannot fully grasp  possession of the things that are eternal. As today’s devotional says, only empty hands can grasp a gift, receive the filling and the gifts that You give. Forgive me for any glorying I have done over my possessions, physical or otherwise. May You enable me to be a good steward and wisely deal with anything that is not for me and could be helpful for others. You indicated that when my life is emptied, I am more able to receive what You want for me. I can get too distracted by my stuff. Give me wisdom for this decluttering task.


No comments: