March 4, 2024

Chastening hurts? Or helps?

 


Yesterday was a delight. God granted great joy and opportunities to encourage others in their faith. I woke early this morning thinking of all that God was teaching me and how I wanted to be useful to Him. He reminded me of this:
But I do not account my life of any value nor as precious to myself, if only I may finish my course and the ministry that I received from the Lord Jesus, to testify to the gospel of the grace of God. (Acts 20:24)
Paul was called to do what he did. I’ve never had a sense of a call, only the ‘next step’ and this has sometimes been a concern. Yet I see now that God has used me as I obey Him, not in an official church position or a ministry with a name attached, but to speak truth. Years of leading Bible studies is part of that. Lately it is just talking with people, three of them yesterday who thanked me, even though I felt it was me who should thank them.

One writer says it is easier to serve God without a vision or a call because common sense can easily replace His requirements. I’ve never felt that I have common sense. I only know that the Father wants me to be like His Son and that has been my goal. He continually lights my darkness and is on my mind. I know what it means to not account my life precious to myself, but I also know the discipline needed from God to think that way and not be concerned about my usefulness, only that I belong to Him and He loves me.

Yet with that love comes what is needed to become what He wants me to be. He uses all things, some pleasing and some that feel like punishment. But God’s idea of punishment is the parental idea of chastening. According to Webster, chastening means “to inflict pain upon anyone in order to purify from errors or faults.” This means:
The Lord disciplines the one he loves, and chastises every son whom he receives.” … For (our fathers) disciplined us for a short time as it seemed best to them, but he disciplines us for our good, that we may share his holiness. (Hebrews 12:6, 10)
To build my character and transform me, what happens to me is not as important as who I am and what God is trying to make of me, both for now and for eternity.
For this light momentary affliction is preparing for us an eternal weight of glory beyond all comparison, as we look not to the things that are seen but to the things that are unseen. For the things that are seen are transient, but the things that are unseen are eternal. (2 Corinthians 4:17–18)
Affliction seems less harsh if I can focus on the outcome. Another writer illustrates it with the words of a village blacksmith:  
“When I am tempering a piece of steel, I first heat it, hammer it, and then suddenly plunge it into this bucket of cold water. I very soon find whether it will take temper or go to pieces in the process. When I discover after one or two tests that it is not going to allow itself to be tempered, I throw it on the scrap heap and sell it for a cent a pound when the junk man comes around. So I find the Lord tests me, too, by fire and water and heavy blows of His heavy hammer, and if I am not willing to stand the test, or am not going to prove a fit subject for His tempering process, I am afraid He may throw me on the scrap heap.”
Job was more confident, at least at times. He said it this way: “But he knows the way that I take; when he has tried me, I shall come out as gold.” (Job 23:10)
A poet wrote it this way:
“Things that hurt and things that mar
Shape the man for perfect praise;
Shock and strain and ruin are
Friendlier than the smiling days.”
PRAY: Jesus, I am understanding Your love for me with a much broader perspective. Being “God’s spoiled brat” has brought much enjoyment, but I now see being God’s disciplined child is a far greater joy. Thank You for loving me while still a sinner, but loving me so much that You are not leaving me like that. I’ve never wanted to be on the shelf or in the scrap heap.


No comments: