October 12, 2019

Patience is a learning curve . . .


They say patience is a virtue. I know for certain that it doesn’t come naturally. Children are impatient little creatures and do not outgrow it. It is a virtue by choice. I can choose to be patient with my grandkids, patient in traffic, patient when my sewing thread knots; the list is long for just the ordinary stuff of life.

The Bible tells me to be patient about a lot of things too. One of them involves waiting for Jesus to come. James 5:7 says, “Be patient, therefore, brothers (and sisters) until the coming of the Lord.” In context, it describes the Lord’s admonition to rich people who abuse their situation in life. With this, I realize I must also be patient with those who seem to get away with a sinful lifestyle . . .

Come now, you rich, weep and howl for the miseries that are coming upon you. Your riches have rotted and your garments are moth-eaten. Your gold and silver have corroded, and their corrosion will be evidence against you and will eat your flesh like fire. You have laid up treasure in the last days. Behold, the wages of the laborers who mowed your fields, which you kept back by fraud, are crying out against you, and the cries of the harvesters have reached the ears of the Lord of hosts. You have lived on the earth in luxury and in self-indulgence. You have fattened your hearts in a day of slaughter. You have condemned and murdered the righteous person. He does not resist you. (James 5:1–6)

The old saw, “You cannot take it with you” is true, yet not a lot of comfort for those who have nothing to enjoy here. This isn’t just about money. I talked with a man last week who has diabetes. He could not understand why, what caused it, or why his efforts to live well were not working. He was obviously envious of those who are healthy and expressed his lack of patience in a God who didn’t seem to hear his prayers.

The above passage talks about the transient value of money. What about youth and good looks? They are transient too. However, I know a woman who is in her fifties and dresses like a teen. Although she is a grandmother, she refuses to be called one. She is determined to stay in the category of bombshell even though the wrinkles of age are making their mark.

At the other extreme are those who are aging and want to be out of this life. They are tired, have lost all their friends, and the stuff they once enjoyed is no longer fun. Life for them was once filled with the good things but that is no more. They just want out.

My mother once told me that all the hobbies and fun things I enjoyed would one day lose their charm. At the time, I didn’t agree with her. How could that happen? Yet as I grow older, I no longer want to do a dozen things at a time or be busy all day. One project is enough. Keeping up with household chores like cooking and cleaning is almost enough. I make quilts for people but am fully aware that they will not last forever, nor will I.

At one time I wanted to make my mark on the world, not like the rich people James describes who did their thing at the expense of others, yet nevertheless had ambitions. Now this has changed and learning to be patient is a more important goal. If life interrupts my plans, I’m not in a tizzy about the interruption. God has control of such things. Also, Jesus is going to return. That could be tomorrow and if it is, what significance do those plans have? None at all.

“Be patient until the coming of the Lord” is all encompassing. Patient with those who seem to have no concern for anyone other than themselves. Patient with God and His dealings in my life. Patient with getting older and losing my youth, patient with aches and pains or a heart that needs a computer to beat properly. Patient with young family members who are learning to be patient. Patient with thread knots, and the telephone ringing when I’m having a bubble bath, and telemarketers trying to sell me new windows, and the endless cook-eat-wash up routines of life. Patient with God whose answers to my prayers are sometimes so slow.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Lord Jesus, I’m thankful that I am not one of those people who got rich by fraud and excessive self-indulgence. I’m thankful that Your patience with me has been a learning curve, not a string of disappointments. I’m also glad that patience is a fruit of the Holy Spirit because left to me, I’d still be whining, “I want what I want right now.” You are good. I can wait until You return, with patience. Some days just barely, but since You never leave me or forsake me, I can wait until I see Your precious face.

Today’s thankful list . . .
- Long lovely drive in the country.
- Seeing harvest happening.
- Seeing family and laughing together.
- Homemade tomato soup with cheese and crackers.
- Our hockey team won again.
- The smell of fresh laundry.



No comments: