October 22, 2019

Waiting for a bigger change . . .


The election is over but not the hoopla nor the pundits’ predictions of what will happen next. My hubby and I were disappointed in the outcome, but as he said, minority governments do not last too long before another election is called. This too shall pass. We just need to wait.

For a long time, my personal perspective on historical matters mostly focused on details. However, as I study the Bible, the Lord is helping me take more of a big picture view. Instead of being bothered by the here and now, I’m looking at the long-term, the plan of God for all time. It is far more hopeful than today’s headlines.

The Gospel is a great example. It was planned before the world began and promised in the Garden of Eden to the first people when they sinned. It was worked out in a long preparation time as God showed His people that they could not save themselves. Finally the time came and Jesus arrived, died for our sin, rose again and ascended to heaven . . .

Christ has entered, not into holy places made with hands, which are copies of the true things, but into heaven itself, now to appear in the presence of God on our behalf. Nor was it to offer himself repeatedly, as the high priest enters the holy places every year with blood not his own, for then he would have had to suffer repeatedly since the foundation of the world. But as it is, he has appeared once for all at the end of the ages to put away sin by the sacrifice of himself. And just as it is appointed for man to die once, and after that comes judgment, so Christ, having been offered once to bear the sins of many, will appear a second time, not to deal with sin but to save those who are eagerly waiting for him. (Hebrews 9:24–28)

His sacrifice was perfect, the culmination of what the previous sacrificial system pointed to and the fulfillment of God’s promise to send a Savior, a Messiah who would deliver people from their sin. Not only would He come for that tremendous task, He will come again — for a different reason. He will return to take those who believe in Him into the fullness of the salvation He has secured!
Those in the Old Testament were told that this first event would happen:

It will be said on that day, “Behold, this is our God; we have waited for him, that he might save us. This is the Lord; we have waited for him; let us be glad and rejoice in his salvation.” (Isaiah 25:9)

After salvation came through faith in Jesus Christ, those believers of the New Testament were told the second event would happen and how we are to live while we wait for it:

For the grace of God has appeared, bringing salvation for all people, training us to renounce ungodliness and worldly passions, and to live self-controlled, upright, and godly lives in the present age, waiting for our blessed hope, the appearing of the glory of our great God and Savior Jesus Christ, who gave himself for us to redeem us from all lawlessness and to purify for himself a people for his own possession who are zealous for good works. (Titus 2:11–14)

I have no idea when Jesus will return. Is the waiting difficult? Some days it is, but only because I want the peace and grace He will bring. I am excited that He will return even though I don’t know when.

This morning I chuckle that in a few years we will have another election that will perhaps have a different outcome. Waiting for that is a challenge. Waiting for Jesus is much easier and brings more excitement to my heart. The reason? I trust that the results He promised will certainly happen. He did exactly what God promised He would do the first time He came, so I know He will do exactly what He promises to do the second time. He will come and He will reign.

I’m totally anywhere near that certain about the promises made by the politicians!

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Thank You Jesus for Your faithfulness. You keep Your Word and I can count on You for every promise You make. You also give me all I need to wait patiently for You to answer prayer, come to my aid, direct me in how to live, and be content until You return.

 
Today’s thankful list . . .
- the on/off switch on my desktop failed but after I prayed, it worked.
- a really good hair stylist who is a blessing to me.
- fresh veggies, even in October.
- my hubby who helps me with household chores.
- a very good sewing machine.
- finally starting to understand my smart phone a little bit.


No comments: