October 2, 2019

Wisdom can be a surprise . . .


The average person might think that wisdom comes with grey hair and years of experience. My dad didn’t think this was true. He knew older people can miss out on wisdom and sometimes said, “There is no fool like an old fool.”

Not everyone learns from their mistakes. Researchers at the University of London did experiments to show that some brains are better at it than others. Others believe the reason is that some people are so certain that their way of doing things is correct that they cannot identify mistakes; their ego blinds them to it. This theory is more like biblical descriptions of ‘fools’ whose self-view is greatly over-inflated.

Whatever the cause, the solution does not require age and years of experience. It only needs a humble admission of need and a prayer:

If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask God, who gives generously to all without reproach, and it will be given him. But let him ask in faith, with no doubting, for the one who doubts is like a wave of the sea that is driven and tossed by the wind. For that person must not suppose that he will receive anything from the Lord; he is a double-minded man, unstable in all his ways. (James 1:5–8)

Just ask God and He who knows all the answers and ways of humanity will give a solution that is perfect for the situation or need. There is a caveat though; the person praying must be convinced that God will answer and that His answer is the best answer.

One of my earliest requests for wisdom regarded a conflict our son was having in a new school. He was one of three boys in a large class of girls. As the ‘new kid’ with blond hair and a deep suntan, the girls singled him as the object of their attention. The other two guys, who were 2-3 years older and much larger, had a sinister plot to ‘fix’ the problem by rearranging our son’s face. He told me about the threat and I asked for wisdom.

This requires remembering that God does not think like we think. His answers can be unusual, even odd. In this case, He told me to tell my son what to do. He was to tell his tormentors he could not fight at school because his parents would have a fit, but they could fight in our garage if they used boxing gloves. My son was as shocked at this ‘wisdom’ as I was. He said, “But what if they decided to do it?”

I said, again at the Lord’s prompting, “We will have milk and cookies first.” His face lit up and off he went to school. I never found out what transpired in his conversation with those boys, but the problem was resolved. They may have had the same rule about fighting from their parents or their bark was worse than their bite. Whatever the situation, God’s odd wisdom offered a solution that otherwise would never have occurred to either of us.

The caveat is not to doubt the answer, no matter what it is. To do so is to doubt God and this amazing promise. He wants to give what is needed. I’m to receive it gladly, not think I know better or that His ways will not work.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Lord Jesus, I’m not sure what this day will bring, but for every challenge and issue in it, I ask for Your wisdom to prevail. May my ears and my heart be open to Your input so that I not only hear You but welcome Your ideas. You make this life a great adventure and I don’t want to miss it by thinking I have all the answers.

Today’s thankful list . . .
- Being able to work out a plan for several projects.
- A visit from one granddaughter whose heavy work schedule gave her time off to come and see me.
- Able to sit and visit while watching a rugby game I taped.
- Hubby home early from a trip to a distant project.
- Fatigue from checking off lots of my to-do list.
- God’s wisdom for every decision.

No comments: