October 4, 2019

Why Temptations?


The young missionary said, “The problem with a living sacrifice is that it keeps crawling off the altar.” We laughed but at the time, I did not fully analyze what she meant.

The gospel tells us to give our lives fully to Jesus. I did that at conversion, but soon began discovering that “all” did not happen as I’d thought it did. Parts of me were still under my control and showed up in my behavior. Temptations came and I gave into them. This has been discouraging.

For some, this can be interpreted as failure to actually be a Christian in the true sense of the word. They think that total dedication to Christ and perfection go hand in hand. When it does not happen, they give up. Others have duped themselves into thinking that the flesh or sinful nature is separate from the new person in Christ, so they ignore the bad stuff as if it isn’t there or doesn’t matter.

I’ve wondered also about the purpose of temptations. James writes about trials and how God uses them to produce steadfastness in my life, but why the temptations? What do they do for me?

Interestingly, the Greek words used for these two issues is almost the same. They are both about being examined or tested to see what we are made of. As trials come from the outside, my responses show me whether I am fully trusting God or not. As temptations come, they reveal the same things.

James hints that God brings the trials to prove that the faith He gave me is sufficient, but he does not say that about temptation. It is not from God . . .

Let no one say when he is tempted, “I am being tempted by God,” for God cannot be tempted with evil, and he himself tempts no one. But each person is tempted when he is lured and enticed by his own desire. Then desire when it has conceived gives birth to sin, and sin when it is fully grown brings forth death. (James 1:13–15)

Many times I hear people wrestle with the idea of God causing something or allowing something. In my mind, they are not two separate things. God is God. Whatever happens is by His will, directly or indirectly. Satan wanted to test Job and God let him do it for God knew Job would pass the test. Is it the same for me in trials? In temptations?

The thing I noticed this morning is the root of temptations is something in me that wants to run my own life. That is, if I am tempted by anything to the point of giving in to it, it is not about God allowing it to prove I’ve got faith in Him but God allowing it to show me where my faith is in anything but Him, but in my own ideas, wisdom, desires, etc. My deepest failures are directly tied to not just doubting God but thinking that my way is better than His way. Had He not opened my eyes to this reality, going that direction would separate me from God and lead to spiritual and even physical death.

I take this seriously. I knew a woman who claimed to be a Christian but also insisted on a particular sin. She became quite vocal on her choice. She also decided she would start attending church again and had no qualms about telling other Christians about her sinful choice. I was shocked and deeply affected when she drove over a hill in the middle of the road and was killed by an oncoming vehicle. I didn’t want to judge her, yet I knew that her decisions about her sin had something to do with this tragic ending.

Human desires are strong. We want to run our own lives, make our own decisions, even ignore God. He is a loving Father with strong-willed children. He knows what is best and I just think I know what is best.

I’m learning and have learned the hard way to pay attention to temptations. They are signals, like pain and guilt, that something is going on within me that says I’m ‘crawling off the altar’ and need to beware of this slippery slope. I also need to remember this amazing promise:

No temptation has overtaken you that is not common to man. God is faithful, and he will not let you be tempted beyond your ability, but with the temptation he will also provide the way of escape, that you may be able to endure it. (1 Corinthians 10:13)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jesus, this way of escape ties into Your statement, “I am the way . . .” You are the only One who can rescue me from myself. You are the way to win over all my sinful desires.

Today’s thankful list . . .
How God makes things clear and totally practical.
Some sunshine after a cool and rainy fall morning.
That God can deal with people problems near and far.
Peace in my heart even when bad news comes.
Chicken noodle soup and homemade bread.
Long naps.

No comments: