October 31, 2019

God’s house is not an actual building . . .


The closest I’ve ever come to building a house is with Lego blocks, yet the way these toy ‘stones’ fit together help me with the images from the Bible that describe the spiritual house of God. The only missing part of the image is the cornerstone.

In the building trade, a cornerstone is a stone that forms the base of a corner of a building, joining two walls. Often this is the place for a plaque that names the building and the date it was built. However, the first definition in my dictionary says it implies something else: “an important quality or feature on which a particular thing depends or is based.”

I read this passage with both definitions in mind:   

As you come to him, a living stone rejected by men but in the sight of God chosen and precious, you yourselves like living stones are being built up as a spiritual house, to be a holy priesthood, to offer spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God through Jesus Christ. For it stands in Scripture: “Behold, I am laying in Zion a stone, a cornerstone chosen and precious, and whoever believes in him will not be put to shame.” So the honor is for you who believe, but for those who do not believe, “The stone that the builders rejected has become the cornerstone,” and “A stone of stumbling, and a rock of offense.” They stumble because they disobey the word, as they were destined to do. But you are a chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people for his own possession, that you may proclaim the excellencies of him who called you out of darkness into his marvelous light. (1 Peter 2:4–9)

The house of God is made up of those who believe in Jesus. As our cornerstone, His name is certainly the major identification of this ‘structure’ and the One who joins and holds us together. He also is the foundation on which we stand.

I know that many ‘churches’ are more like social clubs than spiritual houses. Some seem more like political centers. Others seem to have lost their identification entirely. Is it because people have lost another important truth outlined in this passage? A truth that is humbling yet uplifting? It is in the last sentence:

But you are a chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people for his own possession, that you may proclaim the excellencies of him who called you out of darkness into his marvelous light. (1 Peter 2:9)

God chose me. At first It seemed that I choose Christ, but once I was inside His household, I knew that I was there by invitation. Otherwise, there is nothing in me that belongs.

I am also a member of a royal priesthood, one that intercedes for those both inside and out. A priest of God is concerned that people know about Jesus, desire Jesus and respond to His invitation to be in His household, praying to that end.

This verse says He calls us, including me, holy. We are a people for Him and like Him. That is so amazing that I can hardly write the words, yet He did it, not to glorify me but that I can glorify Him; the one who called me from the darkness outside to the light inside.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jesus, so often I fall short of proclaiming Your excellencies. Life itself is a distraction. The failure of many to listen or even be interested is discouraging. Sometimes I’m simply a coward. Yet as I read Your Word and listen to Your voice, I’m again amazed at all You are and all You have done, not just for me but for millions of others who belong to Your household and are Your possession. May Your glory fill the earth!

Today’s thankful list . . .
- sharing your excellence today with someone very glad to hear it.
- an intense and wonderful time of prayer with others.
- one solid hour on the sofa sound asleep.
- hubby home early with a “you are in great shape” report from his doctor.
- an hour to sew and relax.
- glad we live in a gated community and can easily skip tonight’s events.


No comments: