November 1, 2019

Jesus gives me all I need . . .


Of the last five New Testament epistles, three are one short chapter each. These five are concerned with false teaching and the way Christians should live. 2 Peter and Jude warn against those who scorn the authority of the Lord and His Word. John’s three letters are written against Gnosticism, a teaching that had strange views of Christ and other important matters. John called this the “spirit of antichrist.”

Years ago, a man told me of visiting the Franklin mint where there is a wall of counterfeit money displayed under glass. He said to an official, “I can imagine you must study these very carefully.” The official replied, “Not at all. We study the genuine money. That makes it easy to spot what is fake.”

As I think about the topics of these books and am aware that many of these false ideas prevail even today, my plan is not to dwell on or analyze the false but look in these books for what is true. The very first and most delightful reality is in the first chapter of 2 Peter. He writes:

Simeon Peter, a servant and apostle of Jesus Christ, To those who have obtained a faith of equal standing with ours by the righteousness of our God and Savior Jesus Christ: May grace and peace be multiplied to you in the knowledge of God and of Jesus our Lord. His divine power has granted to us all things that pertain to life and godliness, through the knowledge of him who called us to his own glory and excellence, by which he has granted to us his precious and very great promises, so that through them you may become partakers of the divine nature, having escaped from the corruption that is in the world because of sinful desire. (2 Peter 1:1–4)

God says salvation is by the righteousness of the Lord, granted to believers by His power. I am given “all things that pertain to life and godliness, through the knowledge of him who called us to his own glory and excellence, by which he has granted to us his precious and very great promises, so that through them you may become partakers of the divine nature.” This is how I can escape the corruption of the world rather than be snared by its sinful desires! God says there is no other way.

Yesterday in discussion with others, we agreed that our most constant battle is that “I can do it” notion concerning all of life. In other words, I tend toward the foolishness of thinking that I do not need God or His grace or divine power, at least not for certain things. It is easy to be quite happy to consider Jesus my Savior because I know I cannot save myself from sin, but I too easily drift toward thinking I can handle most of life all by myself.

This is not true, yet it takes a lifetime to fully realize it never mind reach it. The life of radical faith takes seriously the words “all things that pertain to life” and learns that even ordinary things like shopping, household chores, and so on are included. When I rely on “divine power” for the ordinary, life is transformed. For instance, last week I learned the why of a nosebleed in the plan of God. He is teaching me to be on the alert for His hand in everything and because of it, life’s events have meaning I’d otherwise not see. Instead, God gives me adventure in matters that I’d otherwise find ordinary or even irritating.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Lord Jesus, this passage in 2 Peter is precious. It gives me an image of Your power pouring down as I run from sin and from trying to handle ordinary life without You. I can also clearly see that You lead me into a life where You hold my hand and give me grace and peace. No false teaching can even come close to what You do for Your people!

Today’s thankful list . . .
- having all I need to live for Jesus.
- forgiveness for the many times I fail to rely on Him.
- knowing Your power and grace that gives meaning to even ordinary events.
- getting outside into fresh air.
- lots of exercise today.
- being able to record and watch the World Rugby Bronze medal game.