November 28, 2019

Practical Faith . . .


The title of this blog reflects how I think about the Christian faith. If it isn’t practical, it isn’t worth anything. My definition of practical started out narrow: how I apply what I’m learning about God to the way I live. However, the Bible teaches that practical application is not about me; it is about glorifying God and yielding to the Lordship of Christ in my life. For many, that idea and the actions that go with it may not seem practical yet God’s ideas are above human reasoning.

For instance, God told Abraham to leave his home and travel to a place he did not know (Genesis 12). That does not seem practical. He also sent His Son to die on a cross and that seems foolish and wasteful to the rational mind. He tells His people to love their enemies and do good to those who hate us. That doesn’t make much practical sense either, but in the kingdom of God, we often must redefine our reasoning!

My devotional book says this: “Doctrine must not be detached from life. Correct teaching must result in holy living, else the practical purpose is lost. This is the error Jude combats—a kind of antinomianism or lawless libertinism that results in a denial of the rightful place of Christ in the life of the individual.”

In other words, if Christ makes no difference in my life, then my life is not practical as far as God is concerned. Like my son would say, it would be a ‘waste of skin’ as well as an insult to the grace of God.

Jude begins his letter with a salutation that reveals his identity as a half-brother of Jesus. He once denied the faith but eventually believed and was eager to defend it. He says:

Beloved, although I was very eager to write to you about our common salvation, I found it necessary to write appealing to you to contend for the faith that was once for all delivered to the saints. For certain people have crept in unnoticed who long ago were designated for this condemnation, ungodly people, who pervert the grace of our God into sensuality and deny our only Master and Lord, Jesus Christ. (Jude 3–4)

Peter warned about false teachers who would come in and try to ruin the church. Jude writes that they had already come. Their main message was that since Jesus died for all sin, we can do whatever we please; it is forgiven. As Jude says, this is a perversion. It denies a strong aspect of the Gospel that Jesus not only died for us but He lives in us.

No one can have God move in without His intimate presence having a huge effect on the way they live. Our love for God should be awesome! Our love for others should overflow! Our hatred of sin should increase! We should desire to talk to God in prayer and listen to Him through His Word. We should desire to be with other Christians and serve them. The entire Bible, particularly the New Testament, is filled with descriptions of those and other changes.

I’ve often said I cannot be perfect — but God calls for it! After saying I need to love my enemies as well as everyone, Jesus said, “You therefore must be perfect, as your heavenly Father is perfect.” (Matthew 5:48) Even though this word is often translated as “mature” here it is compared to God who is certainly far more than a mere grownup. This high standard means I must cling to Christ. He promises to meet all my needs. With this level of holiness being one of them, I know I must seriously apply His teachings to every part of everything I do.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Lord Jesus, this is huge. I’m glad to articulate it yet know very well how big the challenge is to implement it. Obedience in the Spirit is always in contrast to the desires of the flesh. My war with Satan’s lies and the world’s allurements is compounded by a continual battle with a very selfish old nature called the flesh. I need You to live a practical Christian life. Besides, how can I defend a faith that I’m not fully applying to myself?

Today’s thankful list . . .
- God’s perfection — anything less would not deserve our worship.
- Jesus is my perfection!
- the Holy Spirit’s protection against the lies of false teaching.
- God’s grace to help in my need — which is all the time.
- a lovely opportunity to show hospitality today.
- God’s grace on our small prayer group and His answers to our prayers.
- good conversations with my friends.



No comments: