November 22, 2019

House guests and a heart Guest . . .


When my mother and father moved into our home, everything changed. Our meals, bedtime, places we went, how long we were gone, our activities and our conversations. Mom and Dad were easy to get along with and not demanding so it was a good year even though it changed our lives in every way.

We also had several young women live in our home at various times and one grandson. These also made an impact on us. One was a university student, another a nurse. One was a granddaughter and she was with us the longest. Her presence resulted in the greatest changes.

When I read the Scripture for today, I had to say: “Now think of the change that happened when God moved in!” This is how John describes those changes when I was “born of God.”

Everyone who believes that Jesus is the Christ has been born of God, and everyone who loves the Father loves whoever has been born of him. By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God and obey his commandments. For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments. And his commandments are not burdensome. For everyone who has been born of God overcomes the world. And this is the victory that has overcome the world—our faith. Who is it that overcomes the world except the one who believes that Jesus is the Son of God? (1 John 5:1–5)

The biggest change is that He brings His love into human hearts and that love changes everything . . . “God’s love has been poured into our hearts through the Holy Spirit who has been given to us.” (Romans 5:5)

I vividly remember sitting on the front step of my farm home in the fall sunshine and realizing that I now loved people. To me, that was a marvel. I’d never felt that way, never cared about anyone else but me. But Jesus walked into my life. He changed everything and is still doing it.

The above verses talk about love but also a change of who is boss. God’s love is equal to obeying God. Whenever He asks anything of me involving others, whatever it is will be a display of His love. As John says, this is not a heavy task, just very different to the way I had always lived. All my decisions and actions were about pleasing me. I knew that for the most part, I didn’t even like people much less love them. I was deeply critical, sometimes envious, but mostly looked down on everyone. Such arrogance.

This arrogance is also what Christians call worldliness, loving the world or putting myself, my comfort, and the things that are in the world ahead of the needs of others. It is that ‘I want what I want when I want it’ selfishness that motivates most of the world. The love of God is like a blast of fresh air. It blows away that way of thinking. Oh, it tries to come back and sometimes succeeds, but I cannot claim that I am helpless against it. God clearly says that faith overcomes this attitude; believing in Jesus Christ overcomes this attitude, not because I do it but because He moves in — and His presence changes everything!

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Lord Jesus, this is true. It was true back then on my front step and is true now as I live in a different place and know many more people. You change lives. You are amazing. When I trust You, I live in such a way that I can keep Your commands and overcome that worldly selfishness. Oh, I’ve not perfected this and know that I’ll fight selfishness until the day I see You face to face, yet I’m so thankful for the way Your presence changes everything. Thank You for being here and making sure that I am an overcomer.

Today’s thankful list . . .
- faith that overcomes the world.
- God’s faithful presence — He changes everything.
- a long conversation with our oldest son.
- a shorter one, but dear to me also, with my sister.
- smell of homemade cinnamon buns.
- purging an overdue closet.

No comments: