November 20, 2019

Can I balance discernment and being harmless?


A few people puzzle me. One of them goes to church but never talks about God or Jesus Christ. She makes many friends by doing things for them, yet never mentions fellowship in Christ or says anything about being in the family of God. She nods when Christians are thankful to the Lord or smiles when we give God glory but does not do it herself. She says nothing about Sunday’s messages and does not sing with the rest of us. But she still shows up and knows nearly everyone in our large church. This has been going on for a few years.

The critic in me suspects that this person, and others like her, use the goodness of God’s people to personal advantage, but what does the Spirit of God say about it?

First, He reminds me of Jesus who ate and spent time with those outside the faith. He was criticized for it but affirmed that He came to seek and save those who are lost. He was and still is the friend of sinners and calls me to do the same and even more . . .  

“You have heard that it was said, ‘An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth.’ But I say to you, Do not resist the one who is evil. But if anyone slaps you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also. And if anyone would sue you and take your tunic, let him have your cloak as well. And if anyone forces you to go one mile, go with him two miles. Give to the one who begs from you, and do not refuse the one who would borrow from you. (Matthew 5:38–42)

In my childhood home, I noted how my mom had a soft spot for anyone who was a ‘nice’ person. However, by their ‘niceness’ she assumed they were Christians. Even before I knew Christ, I thought her judgment was often overruled by this assumption. Jesus calls me to be harmless as a dove, but also wise as a serpent.

This morning, John’s epistle gives this warning:

Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, for many false prophets have gone out into the world. By this you know the Spirit of God: every spirit that confesses that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is from God, and every spirit that does not confess Jesus is not from God. This is the spirit of the antichrist, which you heard was coming and now is in the world already. Little children, you are from God and have overcome them, for he who is in you is greater than he who is in the world. They are from the world; therefore they speak from the world, and the world listens to them. We are from God. Whoever knows God listens to us; whoever is not from God does not listen to us. By this we know the Spirit of truth and the spirit of error. (1 John 4:1–6)

Jesus’ words to love my enemy echoes in the background as He tells me that I need to care about everyone but not be in the dark about their spirituality. Some ‘nice’ people are just that, socially and generally nice people, but not Christians. At the same time, I’ve met Christians who, when walking in the flesh, are downright nasty. I need to be discerning but not too firm about my judgments. Only God knows the heart.

What is the point for knowing where my friend is regarding her spiritual journey? For me, it helps me to know how to pray for her. I already know how to treat her — with loving kindness! Prayer is speaking with God about His work in her life. I want to pray in His will and for that, it helps to be aware.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Lord Jesus, my prayer burdens can be discouraging, heavy, too much for me. When You give me better understanding of how to pray, they are more like the “light burdens” that You give. As I ‘test the spirits’ regarding the situations of others, I also need to do the same in my own situation. Are the concerns I feel from You or are they from my enemy who would have me forget that You are God in the flesh, my Lord and Savior, the One who knows all things. You can enlighten me as well as lighten my load. You have the power to change the lives of others too. I cannot, and even my prayers cannot. You are greater than all others and I need to cast all my cares on You because You care.

Today’s thankful list . . .
- these thoughts to balance loving kindness with alert awareness.
- Jesus knows the hearts of those on my prayer list and knows best how to answer my prayers.
- today’s workout in the gym with the power off – some trainers used flashlights. Fun.
- fresh snow.
- a close finish on one quilt that seemed to take forever.
- friends who call.
- smell of supper cooking.

No comments: