November 10, 2019

Big picture = strong foundation


Professors in the seminary where I took a master’s degree were a huge help to me in a way that they may not have realized. I am a ‘detail’ person but every one of my profs was a ‘big picture’ person. From them, overview, outlines, and seeing the general message of the Bible became easier and more important. I’m noticing this today as my devotions in 2 Peter come to a close.

Peter’s first main point is that since the Word of God was given by the Holy Spirit, I need to pay attention to it:

And we have the prophetic word more fully confirmed, to which you will do well to pay attention as to a lamp shining in a dark place, until the day dawns and the morning star rises in your hearts, knowing this first of all, that no prophecy of Scripture comes from someone’s own interpretation. For no prophecy was ever produced by the will of man, but men spoke from God as they were carried along by the Holy Spirit. (2 Peter 1:19–21)

This week, a friend told me she was getting direction for her spiritual life from a book written by a member of a fraternal organization that is not Christian and does not follow the Word of God. Since the source of this book is not God, its message lacks the authority of the Bible. I’d not read the book she considered “inspiring” so could not convincingly comment on it. Instead, I used a few verses point to the power and love of Jesus Christ.

Peter’s second point is the fate of false teachers, those who “deny the Lord” and are headed toward judgment. He says of them that their “the latter end is worse with them than the beginning” (2:20) and those who follow them can expect nothing better. God’s judgment upon sinners throughout the Bible is a warning to all. I am praying for my friend that God will enlighten and save her so she does not listen to false teachers.

Peter’s third point is about the Second Coming of Christ. This will be God’s vindication of His name and purpose. It will also be the day of judgment for the scoffers and those who deny the reality that Jesus will return. They forget (and I sometimes do too) that this event is delayed because God is longsuffering, “not willing that any should perish” (3:9). For that delay, I am thankful. Who knows, not only might my friend turn to Christ but so also might some of those false teachers.

Peter again leaves me with this challenge:

“Therefore, beloved, since you are waiting for these, be diligent to be found by him without spot or blemish, and at peace. And count the patience of our Lord as salvation, just as our beloved brother Paul also wrote to you according to the wisdom given him, as he does in all his letters when he speaks in them of these matters. There are some things in them that are hard to understand, which the ignorant and unstable twist to their own destruction, as they do the other Scriptures. You therefore, beloved, knowing this beforehand, take care that you are not carried away with the error of lawless people and lose your own stability. But grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. To him be the glory both now and to the day of eternity. Amen.” (2 Peter 3:14–18)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jesus today is another day to remember the important basics of following You. I am to keep short accounts, trusting You with peace in my heart and choosing patience and relying on the Holy Spirit as I study Your Word. You warn me to avoid those who teach error and remain stable, growing in the grace and knowledge of You, not for my benefit alone but that You will be glorified. You also remind me of the psalmist’s instructions to take refuge in You because “If the foundations are destroyed, what can the righteous do?” (Psalm 11:3)

Today’s thankful list . . .
- for the solid foundation given by God to His people.
- for the power of Jesus Christ over evil, sickness and death.
- for loving brothers and sisters in Christ.
- for answered prayer, especially for a friend’s who was in a spiritual battle and is now rejoicing.
- for a lazy afternoon, a good nap, and my hubby who spoils me every Sunday night buying supper.
- ice cream sandwiches.

No comments: