November 27, 2019

God’s love is not blind . . .


In fourteen short verses, John’s final letter says a few things to affirm my thoughts and yet also convict me. He writes to a church elder and his greeting makes an interesting connection:

Beloved, I pray that all may go well with you and that you may be in good health, as it goes well with your soul. For I rejoiced greatly when the brothers came and testified to your truth, as indeed you are walking in the truth. I have no greater joy than to hear that my children are walking in the truth. (3 John 2–4)

In almost every prayer meeting I’ve gone to and every prayer letter I receive, the health of someone is on the prayer list. In one church, their prayer letter was 8.5” x 11” in small print and every request was for someone who was sick! However, John connects wellness of soul to his prayers for good health. He hints that prayers for walking in the truth take priority because he knows that sickness can be God’s way of drawing a wayward soul closer to Him. John’s greatest joy is that Christians walk in truth. Good physical health takes second place to wellness of the soul.

His next words are about hospitality for Christians who are travelling, perhaps missionaries or those forced to move because of persecution. These people were trusting other Christians to take care if them and John wants his readers to pay attention to that expectation.

Beloved, it is a faithful thing you do in all your efforts for these brothers, strangers as they are, who testified to your love before the church. You will do well to send them on their journey in a manner worthy of God. For they have gone out for the sake of the name, accepting nothing from the Gentiles. Therefore we ought to support people like these, that we may be fellow workers for the truth. (3 John 5–8)

He also notes that some believers are not walking in the truth and have refused to support these traveling ‘fellow workers’ . . .

I have written something to the church, but Diotrephes, who likes to put himself first, does not acknowledge our authority. So if I come, I will bring up what he is doing, talking wicked nonsense against us. And not content with that, he refuses to welcome the brothers, and also stops those who want to and puts them out of the church. (3 John 9–10)

This man put his own desires first, did not accept the authority of those in leadership, and even spoke against those leaders. He not only refused to show hospitality but stopped those who did and tossed them out of the church!

While I am shocked at this radical disobedience, is it any different than mine? I can be lazy about inviting people into my home, excusing myself as too busy. I can be indifferent to requests for help in this area. I can also think that there are countless people in our large church who are more gifted in hospitality so let them do it. I might not be as antagonistic as Diotrephes but I can be just as self-indulgent with lots of excuses.

John ends with an exhortation to me: He says, “Beloved, do not imitate evil but imitate good. Whoever does good is from God; whoever does evil has not seen God.” (3 John 11)

My commentary takes a bigger picture of this situation by saying, “To avoid the dual dangers of false teaching and division within the church, believers should practice the dual virtues of love and discernment.” In the NT, loving others means wanting God’s best for them. If they are false teachers, love wants them to escape the lies they are following and walk in the truth. However, that requires discernment. I need to first recognize who is who. Some of those travelling and seeking a place to eat and stay could fall into that category. If they do, then I need discernment to know the best course of action. Will loving hospitality help change their false views? Or am I best to say no as John told his readers in his first letter? Also, will my actions bring unity in the Body of Christ or will it cause division?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jesus, I do confess my lack of interest at times in being hospitable. You know all my excuses and You know how to deal with them also. Help me be alert to genuine needs in the lives of genuine Christians who cross my path. Also help me be alert to false teachers, knowing whether I can help set them free from their error or should I avoid them? Would supporting them cause them to assume I am supporting their teaching? I want to be both loving and discerning and need Your grace for that and for everything else.

Today’s thankful list . . .
- God gives me lots to think about and do — every day!
- an enjoyable workout at the gym and sore muscles to go with it.
- a safe place to live and work.
- trying new recipes and being pleasantly surprised at the results . . .
- such as stew made from sweet potatoes, oranges, apples, onions, garlic, diced tomatoes and other surprising ingredients.




No comments: