November 2, 2019

Abundant life beats robbing banks . . .


What would it mean If, when I became a Christian, I was a bank robber and knew that God did not want that, but refused to obey? Or what if I was always cursing? Or gossiping? Or entirely selfish about everything? Most people would mock my claim of faith or at least dismiss it as delusion.

This happens. The Bible says in Christ, all things are made new, but like an out-of-shape lazy person joining the army, he is instantly a soldier but it takes time and effort before he looks and acts like one. Bootcamp, training, and much noise from his sergeant are needed, plus a concerted personal determination to get into shape and change his attitude.

God knows what we are like. Some will be gung-ho about their new life, yet some Christians need constant reminders of what they have and how they are to respond. I tend to identify with the slackers more than the keeners. Yesterday’s verses reminded me that God’s “divine power has granted me all things that pertain to life and godliness” and I cannot ignore that and live as if I don’t have what I need to be like Jesus. For that reason, these next verses are also good reminders that God gave me all I need, so use it!
For this very reason, make every effort to supplement your faith with virtue, and virtue with knowledge, and knowledge with self-control, and self-control with steadfastness, and steadfastness with godliness, and godliness with brotherly affection, and brotherly affection with love. For if these qualities are yours and are increasing, they keep you from being ineffective or unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. For whoever lacks these qualities is so nearsighted that he is blind, having forgotten that he was cleansed from his former sins. Therefore, brothers, be all the more diligent to confirm your calling and election, for if you practice these qualities you will never fall. For in this way there will be richly provided for you an entrance into the eternal kingdom of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. Therefore I intend always to remind you of these qualities, though you know them and are established in the truth that you have. (2 Peter 1:5–12)
Peter is talking about spiritual disciplines. I call them ‘places of grace’ because the disciplines do not give me ‘all things’ but doing them puts me in places where God can work in my heart and life. He is restricted when I disobey Him, just like the maturity of a persistently bratty child is restricted. Disciplines like prayer, Bible study, worship and fellowship with other Christians put me in places where I can hear God and am more likely to obey Him.

The above passage could be written like this: Because God gave me all I need and I believe this is true, then I must act like it and learn more about His gifts. One of them is self-control so I don’t need to continue in my silliness. Another is persistence. Another is godliness with affection and love for my brothers and sisters in Christ. It isn’t that these qualities save me, but they show that I am saved and they make my life useful to God. If I don’t use what God has given me, then I’ve forgotten what He has done, but if I keep on in spiritual disciplines and obedience, I will not fall back into those old ways. I can walk into heaven with my head high rather than being ashamed of how much life I have wasted.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jesus, I know this. I also know that I need reminding. That is one reason I’m in Your Word every day and thinking about Your promises, relying on what You say rather than my old way of thinking. You have not only given me all that I need, You have made life an exciting adventure, an abundant life just as You promised. I’m sure that nothing compares to the delights of walking with You, even robbing banks — had I tried that! 

Today’s thankful list . . .
- God kept me out of lots of trouble before I believed in Him.
- He still does!
- Finally figuring out how to get an old laser printer to do a new job.
- Relaxing with my hubby.
- Panini cheese sandwiches.
- time change that gives an extra hour of sleep.

No comments: