November 24, 2019

The perfect solution . . .


Yesterday someone told me a wonderful story. He is foreman for a large crew of men in a remote location. They began the day with a plan, and his crew went out to make it happen. Then the boss tells him that even though that plan was okay, he was changing it to something else. The foreman was upset. “Why didn’t you say something earlier? Now I have to go find everyone and tell them about this change.”

The boss said, “I didn’t say anything because I didn’t want to make you look stupid.”

At that, the foreman said he was furious. He sat in his truck getting angrier and angrier at the decision, at the suggestion he was stupid, and at the boss. As he thought of ways to retaliate, he noticed a small piece of paper stuck in the passenger-side window.

He said, “I grabbed it and pulled it out. It was shaped like a flower. On it were these words: ‘You are cherished.’ At that, I burst out laughing and all my anger was gone. Puff. Vanished. I have no idea where that paper came from, it was just there.”
I said, “I think you should go with the angel theory.” He agreed and we both praised God.


How did he know that little message was from God? He just did. His attitude change was instant and not his own doing. He just knew.

This ability to “just know” is a great gift. It is given to those who believe in Jesus Christ so that we just know our destiny. This knowing is about faith and also helps us just know if we are praying a sure thing . . .

I write these things to you who believe in the name of the Son of God, that you may know that you have eternal life. And this is the confidence that we have toward him, that if we ask anything according to his will he hears us. And if we know that he hears us in whatever we ask, we know that we have the requests that we have asked of him. (1 John 5:13–15)

I’ve been told my assurance of eternal life is presumption. The person who said it assumed I was arrogantly evaluating myself as worthy of God’s blessing but nothing could be farther from the truth. Jesus promised life to those who trust Him. I believe Him. I just know that this is true. He said so. He is truth and tells the truth. Besides, I know I’ve done zero to earn or deserve such a gift!

As for prayer, knowing He hears is another faith issue, but knowing that I’m praying in the will of God is a bit more complicated. If I pray for a red convertible Ferrari, any assurance that I will get it is likely wishful assumption. I’ve no way to affirm that giving me such an answer is the will of God. However, if I pray for something that is promised by God in the Bible, then I have the affirmation needed to know that it is the will of God and He will say YES to my prayer.

Some say there are hundreds of promises in the Bible. I’m reading about them, recording them in poster-form for the ‘background’ on my computer, memorizing some, praying them and putting my confidence in them. This is the most important way to ‘just know’ that God will answer my prayers.

Our church has an ongoing seminar called “Hearing God” that covers the above need to know what the Word of God says. It also discusses the ability to hear His ‘still small voice’ and distinguish it from the myriad of noises that come into our heads. This is the ‘just knowing’ described by the man who found the message on his truck window. He just knew that this was from the Lord. As he told me the story, I just knew it too.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Lord Jesus, You are amazing. You knew that this man needed to hear from You about his anger and desire to retaliate. You also knew that a rule or command was not the way to change his heart. He needed to know that You cherish him, not based on what he does or is or his IQ or anything else. My heart is also filled with joy that You spoke to him in Oxford English — the word ‘cherish’ means, “he cared for me beyond measure and cherished me in his heart.” What better word could there be to tell one of Your children that You love him!

Today’s thankful list . . .
- God speaks to His people in surprising ways!
- today’s sermon reminded me that Jesus often spoke in remote locations!
- friends who rejoice with me (and sometimes cry with me too).
- a relaxing day and a nice supper.
- the team we rooted for in the CFL final won the Grey Cup.


No comments: