November 16, 2019

Understand the Bible?


Years ago a couple of ‘missionaries’ came to my door. Their main question was, “Where did you learn the meaning of the Bible?” I didn’t realize they wanted me to name my church so they could attack whatever flaws they perceived in it. But I had an answer. I told them that my teaching came from the Bible, not from people or a church. That upset them. They didn’t believe me. I realized later that in their minds no one can learn anything that way; it must be taught to them by a religious organization.

For that reason, these verses are particularly meaningful to me:

I write these things to you about those who are trying to deceive you. But the anointing that you received from him abides in you, and you have no need that anyone should teach you. But as his anointing teaches you about everything, and is true, and is no lie—just as it has taught you, abide in him. (1 John 2:26–27)

Even though the Holy Spirit is the teacher, my church and other Christians often affirm to me what the Spirit has been telling me. This week I’ve been able to catch John MacArthur a couple of times. He is talking about how he knows what he knows about God. Basically, he says, “from the Bible” and because he is convinced it is inspired by God, it is the only reliable source.

He goes on to say what I know also, that the human mind cannot understand the things of God without the illumination from the Holy Spirit. He uses these verses, which I also believe give the answer to both issues:

These things God has revealed to us through the Spirit. For the Spirit searches everything, even the depths of God. For who knows a person’s thoughts except the spirit of that person, which is in him? So also no one comprehends the thoughts of God except the Spirit of God. Now we have received not the spirit of the world, but the Spirit who is from God, that we might understand the things freely given us by God. And we impart this in words not taught by human wisdom but taught by the Spirit, interpreting spiritual truths to those who are spiritual. The natural person does not accept the things of the Spirit of God, for they are folly to him, and he is not able to understand them because they are spiritually discerned. The spiritual person judges all things, but is himself to be judged by no one. “For who has understood the mind of the Lord so as to instruct him?” But we have the mind of Christ. (1 Corinthians 2:10–16)

Both questions involve knowing the truth. Why does a Christian know what we know? Why do those without faith in Christ not understand what we know? The answers are above. Christians know because we have the Holy Spirit and are taught by Him. This is according to a promise Jesus made before He was crucified, resurrected and left this world:

And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Helper, to be with you forever, even the Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it neither sees him nor knows him. You know him, for he dwells with you and will be in you. (John 14:16–17)

The second question is answered too. The unsaved person does not know or understand the things of God because that person does not have the Holy Spirit imparting spiritual truth to their heart and mind. Not only is this true, but God’s truth seems totally foolish to them. It does not make sense nor seem right or useful. Even hearing that this is what is happening does not make sense. In human independence, the sinner’s heart is convinced that he knows all he needs to know to run his own life.

This is a danger for me too. Even though I know the source of all things is my triune God, I can fall into assuming I can handle things. When I fail or become weak, God reminds me that this isn’t so. I need to rely on Him all the time and for everything.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jesus, I do look forward to the day when this battle with sin and relying on myself instead of You comes to an end. Here I get a taste now and then of what that will be like and love the freedom of walking in the Spirit. You are amazing and You do amazing things, even with such a sinner as I. Today’s challenge is to cooperate with You in every detail of life!

Today’s thankful list . . .
- that Jesus gives me His mind and thoughts as I need them.
- a day of rest now that my work has created a tennis elbow (no tennis though).
- hubby’s help to clean out a long-overdue junk drawer of hangers, nails, hooks, etc.
- a short nap during a hockey game (and being able to sleep through anything).
- healthy snacks like nuts and grapes.
- clean clothes and good food.

No comments: