October 5, 2019

Godly Choices?


This week I’ve been trying to decide a purchase. It to my creative bent but the big question is will I have time to use it. I am already creative with art quilts and other things. To use this purchase would require additional time and energy which is scarce these days. If I bought it, would it be a waste of money?

I asked my hubby. He said that if I purchased this product and never used it, I would be out a small amount of money. If I didn’t buy it, I might wonder for a long time if I should have. (It is on sale for only a few days). His logic didn’t answer my real question: Why do I want it? Is this an opportunity or a temptation?

Yesterday’s devotions were about temptation. It does not come from God and usually reveals a weakness in me. This morning in my ‘read through the Bible’ passage, Jesus was tempted by Satan who offered Him the kingdoms of the world if He would bow down and worship him. Is this where my desire is coming from? As soon as I read it, I was willing to drop the idea, but then my devotional reading put me back in James where I read this:

Do not be deceived, my beloved brothers. Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights, with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change. Of his own will he brought us forth by the word of truth, that we should be a kind of firstfruits of his creatures. (James 1:16–18)

Is this desire to be more creative a good gift from above that God can use for His glory? Or is it the enemy trying to deceive me into something that will distract me from doing the will of God and put extra pressures in my life?

I know that whatever my decisions involve, I’m to be yielded to God, willing to do what He asks or tells me rather than insisting on one way or the other. The problem is being uncertain what God wants me to do.  When I thought this might be the devil dangling part of his kingdom in front of me, I was abhorred yet a little disappointed. James says to ask for wisdom but not be double minded about it.

I prayed several times asking God to clear the confusion. The Bible says He is not the source of confusion and He will answer my prayers. Later in the day, the Lord reminded me of the word I’d asked for 2019. He gave me PEACE and an acrostic to help me make decisions. It looks like this:

PRIORITIES – Put the important stuff first
EGO ISSUES – Will it stroke my ego or glorify God?
ADVICE – Check it out with godly friends who I trust.
COMPETENCE – Is it something God has gifted me to do?
ETERNAL – Will it produce something of eternal value?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Lord, this purchase is not a priority. I’m not sure its use will glorify You. It doesn’t seem to involve an ego-trip but only one person said to go for it. I am skilled in this area, but only You know if it will produce something of eternal value. My time is nearly filled with activities that You have assured I should do. I’m still on the fence so will keep praying.

Today’s thankful list . . .
A lovely ‘sew day’ with quilt guild members as we designed and assembled charity quilts.
Sunshine that mocked the wind.
Color. Life would be dull without it.
Friendships.
Email and texting messages.




No comments: