October 17, 2019

Genuine Freedom


As a new Christian, I realized that my efforts to please God fell short. He saves His people by grace through faith, not by any goodness in us or any righteousness that we have or do by ourselves. However, through the years I learned that this truth takes time to move from my knowledge to my behavior. The desire to “do it myself” is so ingrained in a sinful heart that it must be confessed and repented of many times. This must happen before moving totally into that “rest of God” that is described in the book of Hebrews. It is not merely a confession of trust in Him but a constant “ceasing from my own labor” — having no self-effort, a total rest from any attempt to do it myself.
Since therefore it remains for some to enter it, and those who formerly received the good news failed to enter because of disobedience, again he appoints a certain day, “Today,” saying through David so long afterward, in the words already quoted, “Today, if you hear his voice, do not harden your hearts.” For if Joshua had given them rest, God would not have spoken of another day later on. So then, there remains a Sabbath rest for the people of God, for whoever has entered God’s rest has also rested from his works as God did from his. Let us therefore strive to enter that rest, so that no one may fall by the same sort of disobedience. For the word of God is living and active, sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing to the division of soul and of spirit, of joints and of marrow, and discerning the thoughts and intentions of the heart. And no creature is hidden from his sight, but all are naked and exposed to the eyes of him to whom we must give account. (Hebrews 4:6–13)
The problem is disobedience. At the root of any time I do not obey God is that attitude that I can take care of whatever the issue is by myself. If He tells me to do something and I don’t, I’ve decided I know better than God. If He tells me to be quiet and I speak up, it is because I think I know better than He does. Disobedience is the opposite of resting in God.

Disobedience not only signifies that I am not resting in the Lord, but that my heart is hardening. That is, saying NO to Him is a slippery slope. The next time is easier and before long, His voice is dim to my ears. The only way to get back to that relationship of hear and obey is to confess and repent.

God taught me and is still teaching me the importance of reading the Bible. At first, it was the continuation of a habit. Soon I was hearing Him speak and discovered that He knows how I think and what motivates me. His Word exposes self-effort that I do not realize is there. He gives me insight into why something is not as it should be, or what I need to confess, or how I need to change. The Word of God is powerful and far sharper than any counsellor or psychologist. It not only reveals truth about God, it reveals truth about myself, sometimes a painful experience, yet as Jesus said,
“If you abide in my word, you are truly my disciples, and you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.” (John 8:31–32)
^^^^^^^^^^^
Dear Lord Jesus, today I am enjoying the freedom of Your rest even in the agitations and stress of this week with various events and challenges. I know that I cannot deal with any of it, no matter my desire or efforts. Only You can change circumstances — or change me in those circumstances. I can rest in that, not just because of Your power, but because You love me and want the best for me — which certainly includes freedom from trying to do it myself.
Since then I have a great high priest who has passed through the heavens, Jesus, the Son of God, I will hold fast my confession. For I do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathize with my weaknesses, but one who in every respect has been tempted as I am, yet without sin. I will then with confidence draw near to the throne of grace, that I will receive mercy and find grace to help in time of need. (Hebrews 4:14–16, personalized)
Today’s thankful list . . .
- Another rich time of prayer with my friends.
- Another lovely fall day.
- Short nap, long hours at the sewing machine.
- Sold a no longer needed piece of furniture.
- Leftovers that taste even better than the first time.
- Gingersnaps



No comments: