October 10, 2019

Is judging others ever okay?


The question God puts before me today is blunt and to the point:

Do not speak evil against one another, brothers. The one who speaks against a brother or judges his brother, speaks evil against the law and judges the law. But if you judge the law, you are not a doer of the law but a judge. There is only one lawgiver and judge, he who is able to save and to destroy. But who are you to judge your neighbor? (James 4:11–12)

Who am I to judge others? Sometimes I’ve thought the Holy Spirit gave me discernment into why people do what they do, or what people are thinking, yet such speculation that results in an evaluation (good or bad according to the Greek word for judging) is not my job. But I’ve done it.

Jesus didn’t forbid seeing problems in others and trying to help them with their problem, but He put a caveat on doing this:

“Judge not, that you be not judged. For with the judgment you pronounce you will be judged, and with the measure you use it will be measured to you. Why do you see the speck that is in your brother’s eye, but do not notice the log that is in your own eye? Or how can you say to your brother, ‘Let me take the speck out of your eye,’ when there is the log in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the log out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to take the speck out of your brother’s eye.” (Matthew 7:1–5)

He knew that people tend to see themselves in others and when that view is negative, rather than admit our flaws, we consider that all belong to the ‘mirror’ that reflected those images to us. I’ve done that too.

Paul also wrote about it, also from another perspective.

Why do you pass judgment on your brother? Or you, why do you despise your brother? For we will all stand before the judgment seat of God; for it is written, “As I live, says the Lord, every knee shall bow to me, and every tongue shall confess to God.” So then each of us will give an account of himself to God. Therefore let us not pass judgment on one another any longer, but rather decide never to put a stumbling block or hindrance in the way of a brother. (Romans 14:10–13)

In this case, he was telling his readers to pay attention to their own lives. If someone else thinks something is or is not sin, that is not my business to evaluate their convictions. I have no idea whether the Holy Spirit has convicted that person to stay away from certain activities or set them free to do them. It is not my place to pass judgment — both of us are accountable to God. But I’ve done that too.

Yet at the same time, some sin is obvious. For instance, a person claiming to be a believer cheats on their income tax, or on their wife, or curses God. For that Paul says,

Brothers, if anyone is caught in any transgression, you who are spiritual should restore him in a spirit of gentleness. Keep watch on yourself, lest you too be tempted. Bear one another’s burdens, and so fulfill the law of Christ. For if anyone thinks he is something, when he is nothing, he deceives himself. But let each one test his own work, and then his reason to boast will be in himself alone and not in his neighbor. For each will have to bear his own load. (Galatians 6:1–5)

Seeing the obvious and ignoring it is also disobedience, but this discernment and judgment is valid only if I fit the description of a ‘spiritual’ person who is gentle, paying attention to their own temptations, also humble of heart and obedient to God. Obviously, that means realizing I’m not ‘holier than thou’ or have anything special going on in me. It would be good to say I’ve lived like that too, but not always. It is easier to judge with the intent of making myself look good than with the deep desire to help others look good.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Lord Jesus, I’ve no excuses. Sometimes I have a critical spirit and a ‘know it all’ attitude toward the spiritual lives of other people. Very seldom do I ‘judge righteously’ which is not forbidden but requires humility. I need Your great heart and attitude to replace my self-centered attitude. Forgive me and change this sinful negative to a righteous positive.

Today’s thankful list . . .
That God is not ‘soft’ on me when I need a rebuke.
A meaningful time of prayer with others this morning.
God’s promises, and that He keeps them.
A long conversation with my son.
Nearly finished a charity quilt top.
Sunshine and crisp fall air again, with no snow.


No comments: