October 7, 2019

Content with whatever God puts on my plate . . .


The third chapter of James begins with a warning to those wanting to be teachers, then several reminders about the power of speech, and ends with a definition of wisdom. The section is too long to consider every verse, yet an overview gives me a good idea of what God is saying to me today.

I’ve been a Bible study leader for years, but not lately. In 2012 we moved and began attending a church near our new home. Then God led me to take a master’s degree in ‘biblical and theological studies.’ During that time, I was invited to teach, but the class didn’t go well, partly because I was trying to teach at the level I was learning. Since then, God has me leading a small prayer group, but I’ve missed teaching a class. Today, He says to me:

Not many of you should become teachers, my brothers, for you know that we who teach will be judged with greater strictness. (James 3:1)

The transition to the next section on speaking is abrupt, prompting research. I discovered that most commentaries are analytical rather than devotional with the authors trying to discern the author’s reasoning rather than listening for God’s voice. While correct exegesis is important in devotions, they were not helpful.

I did find an interesting statistic (that I cannot verify); the average human spends 1/5 of their life talking. If we wrote what we talk, that could be a 50-page book every day of our lives. Since teachers talk more than average, this is putting a lot of ideas in front of people, never mind the responsibility of knowing what we talk about.

The other thing that helps me with this verse is that this cannot refer to God’s judgment in the sense of being under condemnation. Jesus has already taken that from us. It might be about the Bema judgment where God will discern the eternal value of our works (and our words). It also could be about the judgment of others. Teachers are up front meaning their speech is more likely to be picked apart in a stricter way than the average talker.

That said, I’m rethinking my desire to teach again! Is that what I want? I don’t mind the occasional jibe from someone reading these posts, but realize that most pastors, Bible teachers, professors and so on receive a great deal of criticism, often unfounded and often from less educated people who have not done their homework. This is not very appealing.

The rest of James 3 builds on this reality. He writes about the power of the tongue, comparing it to other ‘small’ things that have great influence. He points out how hard it is to tame — doesn’t everyone blurt out things they later wish they could take back? He writes also about the inconsistency of our speech. Sometimes we are filled with the Spirit and with gracious words, but sometimes we are filled with ourselves and with unkind and thoughtless words. The warning to those who wish to be teachers is valid and needs thoughtful consideration.

The last part of this chapter (remembering that chapter divisions are man-made and not in the original text) is about wisdom. It is from God and in great contrast to those who don’t have it. Lack of wisdom is characterized by jealousy and selfish ambition. He even calls it ‘earthly, unspiritual, demonic’ causing ‘disorder and every vile practice.’ As I read this, I recall twinges of envy when others are teaching, and recognize selfish ambition. This is not from God and is not His motivation for teaching others.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jesus, You are the model for teachers. James says wisdom is ‘pure, peaceable, gentle, open to reason, full of mercy and good fruits, impartial and sincere.’ Those who have make peace and sow a harvest of righteousness. This describes You. I have a long way to go.

Today’s thankful list . . .
Good thoughts and advice every day from God’s Word.
A nice long walk on another beautiful fall day.
Being able to sleep so soundly that the telephone does not wake me!
The freedom to vote.
Chicken stir fry and ice cream sandwiches.
The television has an ‘off’ button.

No comments: