October 3, 2019

Rich or poor is not the issue . . .


The first few times of reading these verses from James had me puzzled. I had no idea what they meant and the context didn’t help. The verses before it tell me to ask for wisdom without being double minded about the answer. The verses after it are about remaining steadfast under trial, the topic of the first part of the chapter.
Let the lowly brother boast in his exaltation, and the rich in his humiliation, because like a flower of the grass he will pass away. For the sun rises with its scorching heat and withers the grass; its flower falls, and its beauty perishes. So also will the rich man fade away in the midst of his pursuits. (James 1:9–11)
I’m still not certain, yet it seems to me that these verses are God’s reminder that everyone is terminal. Rich or poor in this life is not important because this life is nothing compared to the life to come. Our preparation for that life is about an ever-deepening trust in God. It is not about status before men nor the size of anyone’s bank account but about our relationship with God.

My granddaughter works in a social services group home for single mothers. She mentioned that most people in that age bracket (early twenties) are thinking of ways to make money. They are poor and think more cash will solve their problems.

I told her that God has blessed us in that department, yet as I think about these verses and my life experiences, I know that money may seem to solve a few problems yet it is the Lord God who takes care of us. In a worldly sense, that is a humiliation. No matter how much money a person has, if God is not blessing them, they are needy indeed.

It works the same way for those who are poor. I remember the days when my income did not cover the cost of groceries. God blessed me with enough outside help to survive. This too is humbling yet also an exaltation. Why me? I had no reason to be financially blessed, just as now there seems no need to be financially blessed yet God amazingly blesses us.

Looking at this again, God says to me that riches nor poverty have significance. In the long run, the big picture, every person needs the blessing of God. This life is short and soon fades away. The next life is what matters for it is eternal. For that, I’m exalted with the gracious gift of Jesus Christ and eternal life. I’m also humbled because I’ve done nothing to earn or deserve it.

Poverty might be deserved. Money might be earned. Neither really matter. What matters is realizing the power of God. He governs the size of my bank account which I cannot take with me into the next life, so it is a trivial thing. He governs salvation by grace through faith which settles where I will spend the next life and that is the most significant thing.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Lord Jesus, I’m grateful to You for all the blessings of this life yet exaltation is in being saved and made ready for the next life — by the trials and struggles here. And humiliation is in knowing that I deserve and cannot earn any of it; not the blessing of You using all things for my good nor the blessing of the greatest gift of all — knowing You and knowing I will spend eternity with You. Awareness of ‘this life is not all there is’ is also a gift that keeps me from being caught up in the pursuit of things that do not matter because they do not last forever.

Today’s thankful list . . .
Rich time of prayer with friends.
A good workout — much stronger than a year ago.
Fell asleep watching rugby.
After years of cooking, can now invent tasty recipes.
God’s blessing on every part of today.

No comments: